It’s Hip to be Green ... Finally
By jack.flynn on Jul 18, 2008
Insights from Meeting Strategies Worldwide
As promised, Nancy J. Wilson, the CMP of Meeting Strategies Worldwide, is here to report on our green efforts for Oracle OpenWorld. Thanks Nancy for sharing your insights.
Long before it was cool, Oracle demonstrated commitment to sustainability, which has put it at the forefront of addressing energy, environmental, and social issues in the software industry. This corporate responsibility extends to the way their events are planned, executed and evaluated.
As a leader in sustainable event management, Oracle was ready for the next step in 2007 … an environmental assessment of Oracle OpenWorld with the following goals in mind:
1. To determine what baseline meeting practices are in place that support sustainability.
2. To identify specific opportunities for reducing impact and maximizing community benefit moving forward to Oracle OpenWorld 2008.
3. To use greening Oracle OpenWorld 2008 as a platform for developing a broad plan to make all meetings hosted by Oracle more sustainable.
Oracle Openworld 2007 Event Highlights
• 57% of all waste diverted from landfill
• 2,000 lbs of food donated to San Francisco charity
• 80% of exhibitors made use of online kits
• Print materials used 10% post-consumer recycled content paper and vegetable-based inks
• Used greener shuttles for attendees and hybrid cars for VIP transportation
Exciting numbers! And the scope of Oracle OpenWorld, with over 40,000 participants, makes it even more impressive! Oracle OpenWorld 2008 will exceed these benchmarks and take sustainable meetings to the next level.
What can you expect at Oracle OpenWorld 2008? Click on this Green Program link for an in depth look at what’s in store for this year’s event.
What Can You Do?
There are lots of ways you can help minimize the footprint. Some of them before leaving home, such as turning off all lights and heat, unplugging appliances, stopping the newspaper, and packing your own coffee mug and water bottle.
Once you get to Oracle OpenWorld, take advantage of recycling stations, travel on mass transit, use the linen and towel reuse program at the hotels, don’t order room service (too many individually packaged items), take conference handouts or bags only if you need them, and visit the Green Pavilion.
Nancy J. Wilson
CMP, Meeting Strategies Worldwide
Meeting Strategies Worldwide was hired to assess the Oracle OpenWorld 2007 green meeting practices and provide guidelines for Oracle OpenWorld 2008 and other Oracle events.