Branded Zones in Ops Center 2.5
By Shanthi Srinivasan on Nov 23, 2009
The branded zone facility in Solaris OS is an extension of the Solaris Zones. It lets you install Solaris 8 or 9 Containers in branded zones on a Solaris 10 OS system.
Sun Ops Center lets you create branded zones. Before creating branded zones, you must follow and verify certain instructions. We have put together the necessary steps that need to be followed before creating a branded zone in Ops Center.
For branded zone installation, the SUNWs8brandr and SUNWs8brandu packages must be installed in the global zone. These packages should have been installed on your system during Solaris OS installation. If not, install the following packages according to the Solaris 10 OS version on the global zone:
- Global zones that are running less than Solaris 10 10/08 OS version
- SUNWbrandu and SUNWbrandr for Solaris 8 Containers
- SUNWbrandu, SUNWbrandr, and SUNWbrandk for Solaris 9 Containers
- Global zones that are running Solaris 10 10/08 OS or later versions
- SUNWbrandk for Solaris 8 or 9 Containers
These packages are available from the Solaris 10 OS media or from the Sun Download Center in the Solaris Containers 8 or 9 Product.
Ops Center provides Create Zone option to configure and install a zone. This option displays a Create Zone wizard which takes you through a series of steps to select the CPU model, network, file systems, and storage for the zone configuration. Take a look at the Solaris Containers section in the Wiki Documentation for detailed information.
When you create a branded zone in Ops Center, you must provide the image location for Solaris 8 or 9 Containers in the first step of the Create Zone wizard. You cannot use images that are available from the libraries that are associated with the global zone. Instead, download the flar images from the Sun Download Center and store them in one of the following locations and provide the image location while creating a branded zone:
- Global zone. Provide the image location as file:///path/of/the/image
- HTTP Server that is accessible from the global zone. Provide the image location as http://path/of/the/image
- FTP Server that is accessible from the global zone. Provide the image location as ftp://path/of/the/image
Apart from this, also watch out for the language selection in the Create Zone wizard. If you have selected a language in the wizard that is not installed in the flar, the create zone job fails.
These collective information should be helpful for a successful brand zone creation using Ops Center.