By pfolgado-Oracle on Nov 22, 2011
Embora tenha já passado um pouco mais de um mês sobre a realização do Oracle OpenWorl 2011, aqui fica um resumo dos principais anúncios feitos durante o evento.
As ever, the Oracle OpenWorld Keynote lineup featured a whole host of industry luminaries, including Joe Tucci, EMC Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Michael Dell, Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of Dell, John Chambers, Cisco Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, and Infosys Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director S. D. Shibulal. Oracle's own speakers included: Larry Ellison, Chief Executive Officer; Presidents Mark Hurd and Safra Catz; Thomas Kurian, Executive Vice President, Product Development; John Fowler, Executive Vice President of Systems; and Edward Screven, Oracle's Chief Corporate Architect.
On-demand replays of each day's keynotes can be accessed at http://www.oracle.com/openworld/live/on-demand/index.html. Photos from keynotes and the event's media programme, and screenshots, can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/oracle_images/
The company welcomed more than 45,000 registrants to Oracle OpenWorld 2011 - five days of education and insight into Oracle's strategy and roadmap on the software, hardware and engineered systems built to optimise business from end-to-end. In addition, the JavaOne 2011 conference,was dedicated to unparalleled Java education, practical hands-on sessions and engaging activities geared toward the developer community. Oracle OpenWorld, located at the Moscone Center, attracts attendees from more than 117 countries and generates over $100 million for the Bay Area economy.
Oracle Engineered Systems
The crux of the key announcements from the first days of Oracle OpenWorld 2011 was the emphasis on and unveiling of new "Engineered Systems" - complete packages of hardware and software, engineered to work together. Two examples dominated the event:
- Oracle Exalytics
Oracle also unveiled the Oracle Exalytics Business Intelligence Machine, the industry’s first in-memory hardware and software system engineered to run analytics faster than ever, provide real-time speed-of-thought visual analysis, and enable new types of analytic applications. Oracle Exalytics enables organisations to make decisions faster in the context of rapidly shifting business conditions while broadening user adoption of business intelligence (BI) though the introduction of interactive visualisation capabilities that make every user an analyst. Organisations will be able to extend their BI initiatives beyond reporting and dashboards to modeling, planning, forecasting, and predictive analytics. Planning applications can be scaled across the enterprise with faster, more accurate planning cycles. This new system combines Oracle’s proven Business Intelligence Foundation with enhanced visualisation capabilities and performance optimisations, an optimised version of the industry-leading Oracle TimesTen In-Memory Database with analytic extensions, and a highly scalable Oracle server designed specifically for in-memory business intelligence. A photograph of the Oracle Exalytics Machine can be found here.
- The Oracle Big Data Appliance
Weblogs, social media feeds, smart meters, sensors and other devices generate massive volumes of data (commonly defined as ‘Big Data’) that isn’t readily accessible in enterprise data warehouses and business intelligence applications today. Offering customers an end-to-end solution for Big Data, the Oracle Big Data Appliance, in conjunction with Oracle Exadata Database Machine and the new Oracle Exalytics Business Intelligence Machine, delivers everything customers need to acquire, organise, analyse and maximise the value of Big Data within their enterprise. The Oracle Big Data Appliance is a new engineered system that includes an open source distribution of Apache™ Hadoop™, Oracle NoSQL Database, Oracle Data Integrator Application Adapter for Hadoop, Oracle Loader for Hadoop, and an open source distribution of R. Engineered to work together, the Oracle Big Data Appliance is easily integrated with Oracle Database 11g, Oracle Exadata Database Machine, and Oracle Exalytics Business Intelligence Machine, and is designed to deliver extreme analytics on all data types, with enterprise-class performance, availability, supportability and security.
Oracle Software and Hardware also combined to deliver the highest SAP SD-Parallel Benchmark performance result ever achieved, and moreover demonstrated near linear scalability. Oracle Database clusters running on Sun Fire X4800 M2 servers with Oracle Solaris, produced a new overall world-record result on the SAP® Sales and Distribution-Parallel (SD-Parallel) standard application benchmark running the SAP enhancement package 4 for the SAP ERP 6.0 application.
On Wednesday 5th October, Oracle CEO Larry Ellison used his keynote speech to make several significant Oracle Cloud Computing annnouncements.
- The Oracle Public Cloud, a broad set of best-in-class, integrated services that provide customers with subscription-based, self-service access to Oracle Fusion Applications, Oracle Fusion Middleware and Oracle Database, all completely managed, hosted and supported by Oracle.The Oracle Public Cloud includes Oracle Fusion Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Cloud Service, Oracle Fusion Human Capital Management (HCM) Cloud Service, Oracle Social Network, Oracle Java Cloud Service and Oracle Database Cloud Service. The Oracle Public Cloud runs on Oracle Engineered Systems, providing customers and partners with a high-performance, reliable, elastic, and secure infrastructure for their critical business applications. The Oracle Public Cloud is the only public cloud that offers customers a complete range of business applications and technology solutions, avoiding the problems of data and business process fragmentation when customers use multiple siloed public clouds. The Oracle Public Cloud is the only public cloud offering that provides customers with truly flexible deployment by enabling them to run the exact same business applications in the cloud and on-premise.
- Oracle Fusion HCM applications in the cloud, unveiling public cloud offerings of Oracle Fusion Human Capital Management (HCM) and Oracle Fusion Talent Management. Oracle’s enterprise-grade HCM cloud applications offer the advantages customers expect from SaaS (software as a service), without the limitations of niche SaaS solutions. They deliver all the power of Oracle’s most advanced applications in a simple subscription pricing model.
- The world’s most advanced CRM in the cloud, unveiling the public cloud offering of Oracle Fusion Customer Relationship Management (CRM). Oracle’s enterprise-grade CRM cloud applications offer the advantages customers expect from SaaS (software as a service), without the limitations of older SaaS CRM solutions. They deliver all the power of Oracle’s most advanced applications in a simple subscription pricing model – with no hardware to buy or software to support.
In a related announcement, Ellison also unveiled Oracle Social Network, an enterprise collaboration and social networking tool for business. Oracle Social Network enables business users to find and collaborate with the right people within their enterprise and across enterprises - for example, with suppliers, partners and customers - using information from the human resources system and their own private social network.
Oracle Database, Middleware and Systems
Leading the core technology software announcements was Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c the industry’s first solution to combine management of the full Oracle stack with complete enterprise cloud lifecycle management. Through Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control, its new centralized console, Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c brings together unique management capabilities for the entire cloud lifecycle. Key new capabilities include consolidation and capacity planning, self-service, testing, monitoring, and metering and chargeback. New integrated application-to-disk management capabilities for Oracle Fusion Applications and Oracle’s engineered systems have been added. This release also introduces new virtualization management and cloud resource management capabilities built on Oracle VM 3.0.
Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c introduces critical new database security management capabilities that help increase administrator productivity and reduce the on-going costs of IT compliance through greater automation. Organisations can now discover sensitive and regulated data within databases with new application data modeling capabilities that accelerate the deployment of security measures such as data masking.
There were several Business Intelligence-related announcements
- For organisations relying on spreadsheets for Business Intelligence (BI) or reporting on data using Microsoft Office, Oracle and Simba Technologies Inc jointly. announced the availability of Simba MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP 3.0. This latest release of the provider features new support for pre-defined data queries, new customisable report layouts, enhanced drill-through support and improved query performance.
- To help ease the integration and alignment of sustainability reporting with financial reporting, Oracle introduced the Sustainability Reporting Starter Kit for Oracle Hyperion Financial Management.The prebuilt application enables a repeatable, accurate and auditable approach for consolidating environmental, social and economic metrics necessary for corporate sustainability reporting.
- Further enhancing Oracle Hyperion Financial Management capabilities, Oracle introduced Oracle Financial Management Analytics.These prebuilt analytic dashboards help organizations to save time, money and resources by integrating data from Oracle Hyperion Financial Close Management and Oracle Hyperion Financial Management to deliver a unified view of financial close process and financial results.Built upon Oracle Business Intelligence Release 126.96.36.199, Oracle Financial Management Analytics also features support for the iPad and iPhone to provide decision makers with access to financial results on the move.
Oracle unveiled Oracle Process Accelerators to help simplify and accelerate time-to-value for customers’ business process management initiatives. Built on the latest version of Oracle Business Process Management Suite 11g, Oracle Process Accelerators are high-value, pre-built processes that are customisable and extensible to fit specific customer requirements. Oracle Process Accelerators address horizontal and industry-specific process requirements for common and repeatable business process patterns, such as employee on-boarding and invoice processing.
The latest release of the industry’s leading distributed in-memory data grid, Oracle Coherence 3.7.1, is now available. This new release provides customers with greater flexibility in data grid client languages; reduced latency and increased throughput of network communication when deployed on Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud; and significant performance improvements for seamlessly managing data across memory and disk-based solutions. Oracle Coherence 3.7.1 introduces a new REST API, enabling customers to leverage popular client languages, such as PHP and Python, to access, manipulate and report on data stored in the Oracle Coherence data grid.
The company demonstrated its ongoing commitment to the developer and open source communities with two announcements:
- The latest release of Oracle Enterprise Pack for Eclipse, which builds on existing support for Oracle Application Development Framework (ADF), provides major enhancements to Eclipse refactoring and introduces new tools for Oracle Coherence.
- A preview of the next generation Oracle Application Development Framework (ADF) Mobile, an extension of the Oracle Application Development Framework. The latest capabilities simplify mobile application development. Developers can write applications once and deploy to multiple device platforms, including Apple iOS mobile devices. Indeed, Oracle's own Applications are planned to be built with Oracle Application Development Framework (ADF), part of Oracle Fusion Middleware. Oracle ADF Mobile browser is being used to mobile-enable Oracle Applications, some of which are available now.
Benchmark news: Oracle WebLogic Server 11g, the #1 application server by both vendor share and growth, together with Oracle Linux and Oracle Database 11g Release 2 running on a Cisco® Unified Computing System™ B440 M2 server set a world record dual-node result with the SPECjEnterprise2010 industry standard benchmark. This world record dual-node result with Oracle WebLogic Server 11g, using a total of eight processors, delivered over 50 percent more performance than IBM WebSphere's best eight processor SPECjEnterprise2010 result running IBM DB2 9.7 on a POWER7 server.
In hardware news, Oracle announced its third-generation Sun ZFS Storage Appliances, which offer enterprise NAS functionality, and best-in-class performance, efficiency, data integrity and integration with Oracle software. Demonstrating definitive performance leadership in the NAS market, Oracle’s Sun ZFS Storage 7420 Appliance delivered 2x the performance at less than half the cost per SPC-1 IOPS of NetApp’s FAS 3270A on the SPC-1 benchmark.
Finally, Oracle used Oracle OpenWorld 2011 to showcase Oracle Solaris 11, ahead of its planned release in November of this year.
Oracle Applications and Industries
Oracle CEO Larry Ellison used his closing keynote on Wednesday 5th October to emphasise that Orcle Fusion Applications are now generally available.
Oracle unveiled new coexistence capabilities for organizations to harness further value and flexibility with Oracle Fusion Applications. This means that organizations can incrementally add functionality and value by coupling existing solutions with Oracle Fusion Applications, whether on premise or in the cloud.
Oracle CRM On Demand Release 19 Innovation Pack introduces industry-leading hosted call center and enterprise-marketing capabilities designed to drive revenue and productivity, reduce costs and improve the customer experience. Unlike other industry solutions, Oracle CRM On Demand Release 19 Innovation Pack offers organizations a Hosted Contact Center and important enterprise marketing features without reliance on outside partners or other providers.
Oracle Applications are now fully optimised for Oracle Exadata Database Machine and Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud. The enhanced integration delivers tangible business benefits for customers by enabling Oracle Applications to take advantage of the extreme performance, reliability and scalability delivered by Oracle Exadata and Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud. With the integration, the performance of the Oracle E-Business Suite, Oracle’s PeopleSoft, Oracle’s JD Edwards EnterpriseOne, Oracle’s Siebel CRM, Oracle’s ATG Commerce Suite and Oracle Supply Chain Management applications is enhanced.
To meet the increasingly mobile demands of today’s workforce, Oracle announced support for Oracle’s JD Edwards EnterpriseOne on the Apple iPad. By enabling customers to access JD Edwards EnterpriseOne enterprise resource planning (ERP) applications and data anywhere and at any time through the intuitive iPad user interface, Oracle is the first and only vendor to deliver a comprehensive enterprise suite on the iPad. To meet the specific demands of field technicians who regularly perform service work on the road, Oracle has also released an iPad application for Field Service Work Order, ready for download for JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 9.0 customers.
There were several customer announcements made at Oracle OpenWorld 2011:
- Intuit Inc, a leading provider of business and financial management software solutions, including QuickBooks®, Quicken®, Mint.com, and TurboTax®, adopted Oracle Application Integration Architecture (AIA) Foundation Pack, Oracle SOA Suite, and six Oracle Process Integration Packs (PIPs) to integrate more than 35 diverse applications across the organization.
- Oracle announced that Mazda Motor Corporation has adopted Oracle Applications, Oracle Fusion Middleware, Oracle Database 11g and Oracle Exadata Database Machine to support its global business by establishing a next-generation IT foundation. Mazda implemented Oracle EPM System, Oracle Business Intelligence Applications, Oracle E-Business Suite, Siebel CRM, PeopleSoft Enterprise, Oracle Value Chain Planning, Oracle Fusion Middleware, Oracle Database 11g, Oracle Database Security, Oracle Enterprise Manager, Oracle Data Integration, Oracle Exadata Database Machine and others.
- Also in motor industry news, Oracle announced the successful completion of an upgrade to Toyota Motor Europe's (TME) Vehicle Order Management (VOM) system based on the Oracle E-Business Suite 12.1. The upgrade encompasses 13 countries and readies TME to carry out an imminent, major rollout-plan of its VOM into Germany and UK.
- Another customer to adopt Oracle capabilities across much of the product portfolio is Alcoa, the world’s leading producer of primary aluminum and fabricated aluminum. It selected Oracle® Exadata Database Machine and Oracle Fusion Human Capital Management (HCM). Alcoa will deploy Oracle Fusion HCM alongside existing Oracle E-Business Suite applications. As part of its enterprise application roadmap, Alcoa is also upgrading to theOracle E-Business Suite 12.1. Both Oracle Exadata Database Machine X2-2 and X2-8 systems will be implemented to improve OLTP performance, scalability and reliability across the global organization.
Other industries news saw Oracle announcing the recipients of the inaugural Oil and Gas Industry Excellence Awards which were presented at Oracle’s 5th Annual Oil and Gas Day at Oracle OpenWorld. The awards acknowledged four oil and gas companies across the four main sectors of the industry: Exploration and Production (Chesapeake Energy Corp.); Oilfield Services and Drilling (Key Energy Services); Midstream - Pipeline (Enbridge); and Downstream (BP)
Recognition of the importance of partners was recognised as the Oracle PartnerNetwork (OPN) Forum featured strongly in the first day of Oracle OpenWorld 2011. A record 4,500 partners from around the globe attended the OPN Forum – more than doubling last year’s attendance. Partners assembled to hear more about how they can leverage new and existing OPN resources and programs to learn, grow and profit with Oracle. The company used the opportunity to announced some significant Partner news:
- Oracle expanded its Oracle Exastack Program with the availability of Oracle Exastack Optimised, enabling Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) and other qualifying members of Oracle Partner Network (OPN) to optimise their applications to run faster and more reliably on Oracle Exadata Database Machine and Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud.
- In conjunction with the launch of Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, Oracle today announced new Oracle PartnerNetwork (OPN) resources that help partners to leverage Oracle’s IT management solution to deliver and manage enterprise application and cloud environments.
- Oracle PartnerNetwork (OPN) Systems Implementation partners (SIs) around the world continue to rapidly adopt and invest in Oracle Fusion Applications. Oracle partners, including Infosys, Cognizant and Wipro, have also dedicated over 2,500 full-time resources, assisting Oracle in the development of customer migration and upgrade paths from the Oracle E-Business Suite, Oracle’s PeopleSoft, and Oracle’s Siebel CRM to Oracle Fusion Applications.
- The company announced two further partners who had been named Oracle PartnerNetwork (OPN) Diamond level partner, the highest ranking available in the OPN Specialised program - Fujitsu and Wipro. To date, ten leading partners including Accenture, Capgemini, CSC, Deloitte, IBM, Infosys, PwC and Tata Consultancy Services Ltd have already achieved a Diamond level status in OPN, the highest level available in the program.
- Other OPN Specialized milestones include:
- 3,000 partners have achieved Specializations
- Over 75 total Specializations available today
- Over 30,000 Total Cumulative Certified Implementation Specialists
- Over 5,500 Certified Implementation Specialists qualified during FY12 YTD
- 4,000 new OPN implementation specialists were added in Q1, FY12
- Over 9,000 Boot Camp Training days across 200 events delivered FY12 YTD
- 115 Oracle partners have achieved over 165 current Oracle Validated Integrations.
- 150 Oracle Exastack Ready achievements for Oracle Solaris, Oracle Linux, Oracle Database or Oracle WebLogic Server
- Oracle announced the recipients of the third annual Oracle PartnerNetwork Specialized Global Awards. Among other winners, Capgemini UK plc was awarded Applications Partner of the Year
Oracle made several announcements at the JavaOne conference which ran in San Francisco at the same time as Oracle OpenWorld 2011:
- The availability of JavaFX 2.0, an advanced Java user interface (UI) platform for enterprise business applications and the next step in the evolution of Java as a premier rich client platform. Oracle also announced its intention to submit a proposal to open source the JavaFX platform as a new project within the OpenJDK Community. Oracle intends to initially contribute the JavaFX UI controls and related libraries; other JavaFX components are planned to follow in multiple phases.
- Plans for the evolution of Java Platform, Micro Edition(Java ME) through the submission of new Java Specification Requests (JSRs) to the Java Community Process (JCP). Over the next several months, Oracle and members of the Java community will submit new JSRs for Java ME 7 and begin development within the JCP.
- Plans for advancing the Java Platform, Standard Edition (Java SE) with a roadmap for Mac OS X releases and an update on Java SE 8. Oracle is releasing technology previews of both Java SE 7 and Java FX 2.0 on Mac OS X, with plans to release Java SE 7 on Mac OS X for developers in Q2 2012 followed by a consumer version later in 2012.
- The latest developments in the evolution of Java Platform, Enterprise Edition (Java EE). Java EE continues to be hugely popular with increasing developer adoption and over 40 million downloads of Java EE components, including Oracle GlassFish Server. Java EE 7, the next generation of Java EE, is well underway with 10 active Java Specification Requests (JSRs) being worked on through the Java Community Process (JCP) by over 20 different participating companies and represented by hundreds of engineers.