San Francisco to San Jose
By dgolds on Nov 29, 2006
My friend and co-worker Blair is a member of the Almaden Cycle Touring Club, a very nice bunch of folks that organize group rides in the South Bay. They were taking Caltrain up to The City this weekend, then riding back down, and Blair asked me if I'd like to join. I'd ridden from Sun's Santa Clara campus up to San Francisco a couple of times, and it had practically killed me, but since it was a long weekend, I figured I'd at least have a couple of days to recover.
The ride leader, Benjamin, took a really nice route:
- Up Townsend to 7th Street
- Up 7th to McAllister
- Up McAllister to Baker
- Down Baker into the Panhandle, and then across Golden Gate Park to 35th Avenue
- Down 35th and over to Skyline
- Down Skyline, up the big hill, into San Bruno Park
- Into the park system and down the Camp Sawyer Trail
- Down the trail, back onto Skyline across 92, then down Canada Road, into Woodside, and down Mountain Home
- Down Arastradero, Page Mill, Foothill, and working our way across the Santa Clara Valley until we got back to the Caltrain station at Santa Clara, where most of the folks had parked
- Down El Camino to San Jose Caltrain
Total ride distance, approximately 68 miles.
Gorgeous day, nice people, great ride leader, a lot of fun. And not too sore the next day!
Here are some pictures:
Members of the Almaden Cycle Touring Club on their way up to San Francisco on Caltrain.
In front of a Victorian in the Western Addition after a short climb up McAllister.
Lunch next to the Crystal Springs watershed in the San Mateo County park system.
Detail from the Pulgas Water Temple. A few of us who had never been there before made a short stop to have a look.