PHP OCI8 2.0.0-devel is now available on PECL (and in the PHP 'master' branch). This is a development release, so changes may
occur. I'm looking for feedback, particularly on:
- Feature design, including naming choices
- Install feedback from different platforms with different build tool versions
- Whether to drop support for installing on PHP 4. I'm likely to do this. (The OCI8 1.4.10 release is usable for installing on PHP 4)
OCI8 2.0 can be installed as a shared extension from PECL with:
pecl install oci8-devel
Alternatively, if you have OCI8 1.x currently installed as a static
extension, then you will need to build PHP again. This is easy using
a trunk snapshot from snaps.php.net. Instructions for building are in various places
on the web, including in The Underground PHP and Oracle Manual.
The OCI8 2.0.0-devel release contains a bunch of clean ups, and
some new and changed features. The full list is found in the
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY:
- Added Implicit Result Set support for Oracle Database 12c.
Streaming of all IRS's returned from a PL/SQL block is available
via oci_fetch_array, oci_fetch_assoc, oci_fetch_object and
oci_fetch_row (but not oci_fetch or oci_fetch_all).
Alternatively individual IRS statement resources can be obtained
with the new function 'oci_get_implicit_resultset' and passed to
any oci_fetch_* function.
- Added DTrace probes enabled with PHP's generic --enable-dtrace
- IMPROVED FUNCTIONALITY:
- Using 'oci_execute($s, OCI_NO_AUTO_COMMIT)' for a SELECT no
longer unnecessarily initiates an internal ROLLBACK during
connection close. This can improve overall scalability by
reducing "round trips" between PHP and the database.
- CHANGED FUNCTIONALITY:
- PHPINFO() CHANGES:
- The oci8.event and oci8.connection_class values are now shown
only when the Oracle client libraries support the respective
- Connection statistics are now in a separate phpinfo() table.
- Temporary LOB and Collection support status lines in
phpinfo() were removed. These features have always been
enabled since 2007.
- OCI_INTERNAL_DEBUG() CHANGES:
- The oci_internal_debug() function is now a no-op. Use PHP's
--enable-dtrace functionality with DTrace or SystemTap instead.
- INTERNAL CHANGES:
- Fixed a potential NULL pointer dereference flagged by Parfait
static code analysis.
- Extended testing of existing OCI8 functionality.
- Improved test output portability when using the PHP development
web server to run tests.
- Removed no-longer necessary Unicode patterns from tests
(vestiges of PHP's previous PHP 6 project)
- Improved build portability by removing compilation type cast
warnings with some compilers.
- Fixed compilation warnings when building with Oracle 9.2
- Updated code to use internal macro PHP_OCI_REGISTER_RESOURCE.
- Regularized code prototypes and fixed some in-line documentation
- Fixed code folding.
Subsequent blog posts will talk about the features in OCI8 2.0.0.