We've just released an updated version of the Underground PHP and Oracle Manual.
Release 1.4 is available for free from the Oracle Technology Network.
The book is designed to bridge the gap between the many PHP and the many Oracle texts available.
We re-worked a lot of content for this version, improving the layout and flow enormously. We also increased its size by one third, adding over fifty pages of new material. The highlights are:
- Updated the versions of software in the install steps. Show how to use the Windows MSI installer. Added a section on upgrading OCI8 in PHP4. Added a section on enabling PDO.
- Updated the SQL Developer section (thanks to Sue Harper).
- Improved and extended the examples. Many more can now be cut-and-pasted and run standalone.
- Added new connection performance tips.
- Show how to retrieve PL/SQL "success with information" errors.
- Added a section on testing.
- Added a chapter mapping PHP 4 to PHP 5 function names.
- Added a chapter on mapping ora_* to oci_* function names
Since the first release of the Underground PHP & Oracle Manual there have been several PHP & Oracle books published. They all have different perspectives and are also worth having.