Sun Announces OpenDS Standard Edition 1.0 - Performance and Scalability are Top of Mind!
By ericapereira on Jul 30, 2008
This one is for all the fans of Sun's directory server technology! Sun
is announcing the general availability of the Sun OpenDS Standard
Edition 1.0, the world's first commercially available pure Java-based
directory server that is based on the technologies developed in the
OpenDS community. Sun OpenDS Standard Edition brings to market in one
product a standalone and embeddable LDAP v3 compliant directory that is
easy to install, use, manage, and extend with a new architecture
designed to provide great performance and scalability.
For example, Sun OpenDS SE is capable of running in very low-memory environments, so that all essential directory components can be functional on edge devices, such as: cell phones or PDAs, in addition to scaling to hundreds of millions of entries per instance on appropriately-sized hardware, making effective use of multi-CPU, multi-core machines. Adding in replication capabilities enables the directory server to achieve even higher levels of scalability and fault tolerance for the more demanding deployments.
Main features include:
1) Intuitive administration:
- Easy graphical installation tool that gets your server configured, up and running in less than 3 minutes!
- A nice graphical status panel
- A rich command line tool to perform all online administrative tasks both interactively or scripted
- Multi-master replication (4-way MMR)
- Enhanced LDAP extended operations and controls
- Advanced security and password policies in addition to advanced backup and restore capabilities
What's in it for you?
- Simplicity & Compliance: A simple and easy to use LDAP compliant directory server, the LDAPv3 server passes all of the compliance, interoperability and security tests suites.
- Interoperability: Sun OpenDS SE 1.0 implements most of the standard and experimental LDAP extensions defined in the IETF as RFCs or Internet-Drafts, so you'll get maximum interoperability with LDAP client applications.
- Open Source: OpenDS SE is based on open source technology and Sun offers enterprise-level support and indemnification.
- Small Footprint: With only a 16MB installed footprint, the Sun OpenDS Standard Edition 1.0 is an embeddable directory, making it an efficient solution for any Web 2.0 developers, OEMs, ISVs, and SMBs that over time will need to address larger-scale deployment requirements.
To download the latest OpenDS SE 1.0, visit http://wikis.sun.com/display/sunopends
To find more information about Sun's identity management suite, visit http://www.sun.com/identity