Sun recently completed a survey of its ISV
community about their use of the Solaris
10 Operating System (OS) in their solutions. The survey identified the
most important features and common partner solutions running on the
Solaris 10 OS. Partners from countries including the U.S., China,
Germany, Italy and Australia participated in the survey. Some of the
key findings include:
Partners find performance and availability as the most important
considerations when choosing an operating system. These aspects
directly impact the strength of their own technology offerings.
- Over 80 percent of respondents named performance
as the most important capabilities when choosing the Solaris 10 OS
- Over 70 percent of respondents also said that networking, data
management, interoperability, platform choice and support &
services were important in their choice of the Solaris 10 OS
The most commonly offered partner solutions running on the Solaris 10 OS are products that require high availability and uptime.
- The Solaris 10 OS is most often used for Web-based services, data
management, application services delivery and infrastructure/data
The vast majority of partners are having a positive experience with the
Solaris 10 OS and believe it provides value to their businesses.
- 87 percent of participants said that the Solaris 10 OS is a critical or important part of their business
- 91 percent reported having a positive experience with the Solaris 10 OS
- 88 percent deployed the Solaris 10 OS with little to no difficulty
One example of a Sun ISV who has found success with the Solaris 10 OS is Sapotek
a Web 2.0 company providing a free, online desktop. After switching
from Linux, the company experienced a six-fold increase in server
performance, 99.99% availability and a 50% reduction in hosting costs.
A full case study with more information is available here
More information on the survey and results are available upon request!