By Joe Diemer-Oracle on Dec 21, 2012
The following is a Guest Blog, contributed by Anand Ranganathan, Product Manager for Oracle Products and Solutions at NetApp
As a DBA managing databases running on storage systems, some of your major challenges are how do you:
- Pinpoint storage related problems in a timely manner
- Proactively respond to problems
- Map a database file to its underlying storage component
- Reduce your dependency on the storage admin
- Solve these problems using an Oracle product that you use everyday
If you are planning to or are currently running your Oracle databases on NetApp storage systems then the NetApp Storage System Plug-in for Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c resolves the above challenges by:
- Consolidating information about Oracle on NetApp environments into the Enterprise Manager Cloud Control Console providing one interface to monitor databases and storage systems
- Correlating and pinpointing storage related database problems by mapping database components like tablespaces, datafiles to storage components like aggregates, volumes using built-in reports and automating collecting a comprehensive set of availability, performance and usage metrics with pre-defined thresholds. Alerts are automatically sent out when thresholds are breached helping you to respond proactively to problems before they occur. You can also ensure routine responses to alerts are automatically executed using corrective actions
- Increasing operational efficiencies by allowing you to standardize optimal Monitoring settings into a template and apply them to one or more NetApp Storage systems, report on historical metrics data for trend analysis & planning database storage needs, compare multiple storage system configurations to ensure they are deployed as per standards and prevent unnecessary alerts during scheduled downtimes with Blackout Periods
The plug-in was built by NetApp using the Enterprise Manager 12c Extensibility Kit that not only helped us develop screens that have a rich look and feel but also helped enrich the plug-in by allowing us to leverage Cloud Control’s powerful monitoring and event management features for monitoring of NetApp storage systems.
The NetApp Storage System Plug-in for Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c is free and is listed at the Enterprise Manager Extensibility Exchange. The plug-in has achieved Oracle Validated Integration, which provides customers the confidence knowing that it:
- is designed and built in a reliable, standardized way
- has been tested as functionally and technically sound
- operates and performs as documented
Here is a screenshot of the dashboard of a NetApp storage system monitored with Enterprise Manager 12c via the NetApp plug-in.
Customers and partners can visit the NetApp Communities site to watch a demo and download the plug-in. If you are a partner, visit the Oracle PartnerNetwork Validated Integration Knowledge Zone to learn more about the validation program.