By Hari Srinivasan-Oracle on Nov 12, 2013
One of the most arduous processes in DB maintenance is upgrading Databases across major versions, especially for complex RAC Clusters.
With the release of Database Plug-in (184.108.40.206.0), EM12c Rel 3 (220.127.116.11.0) now supports automated upgrading of RAC Clusters in addition to Standalone Databases.
This automation includes:
- Upgrade of the complete Cluster across the nodes. ( Example: 18.104.22.168 CRS, ASM, RAC DB -> 22.214.171.124 or 126.96.36.199 GI, RAC DB)
- Best practices in tune with your operations, where you can automate upgrade in steps:
Step 1: Upgrade the Clusterware to Grid Infrastructure (Allowing you to wait, test and then move to DBs).
Step 2: Upgrade RAC DBs either separately or in group (Mass upgrade of RAC DB's in the cluster).
- Standard pre-requisite checks like Cluster Verification Utility (CVU) and RAC checks
- Division of Upgrade process into Non-downtime activities (like laying down the new Oracle Homes (OH), running checks) to Downtime Activities (like Upgrading Clusterware to GI, Upgrading RAC) there by lowering the downtime required.
- Ability to configure Back up and Restore options as a part of this upgrade process. You can choose to :
a. Take Backup via this process (either Guaranteed Restore Point (GRP) or RMAN)
b. Set the procedure to pause just before the upgrade step to allow you to take a custom backup
c. Ignore backup completely, if there are external mechanisms already in place.
High Level Steps:
- Select the Procedure "Upgrade Database" from Database Provisioning Home page.
- Choose the Target Type for upgrade and the Destination version
- Pick and choose the Cluster, it picks up the complete topology since the clusterware/GI isn't upgraded already
- Select the Gold Image of the destination version for deploying both the GI and RAC OHs
- Specify new OH patch, credentials, choose the Restore and Backup options, if required provide additional pre and post scripts
- Set the Break points in the procedure execution to isolate Downtime activities
- Submit and track the procedure's execution status.
The animation below captures the steps in the wizard. For step by step process and to understand the support matrix check this documentation link.
Explore the functionality!!
In the next blog, will talk about automating rolling Upgrades of Databases in Physical Standby Data Guard environment using Transient Logical Standby.