By Eunhei(PJ) Jang on Feb 25, 2013
With the recent announcement of Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c Release 2 Plugin Update 1 (18.104.22.168), building and managing Infrastructure as a Service ( IaaS ) cloud is simpler than ever. Enterprise Manager for Oracle Virtualization (VT) plug-in 22.214.171.124 now support Oracle VM 3.2.1 which is enhanced for building much more secure and scalable enterprise class infrastructure cloud. Particularly, we were able to see significant performance improvement in handling parallel operations in the area of storage and VM management. Some of the key features supported for Oracle VM 3.2.1 include:
• Virtual Machine Tagging- During deployment, users specify tags (that can be edited later) for the machines they are creating, and search based on the tags.
• Periodic Storage Repository Refresh - Synchronization between data on the repository and that on the Oracle VM Manager can now be automated
• Oracle VM Agent password update support - Oracle VM Agent password can now be updated via the EM UI
• Virtual Server Roles support – Servers can be marked for playing different roles, such as utility role or virtual machine role
• VM start policy – Users can set the policy on where the VM should be started on (e.g., Current Server, Best Server or based on Pool Policy)
• OCFS2 timeout support – Users can set heartbeat timeout for servers in a clustered server pool
More details on Oracle VM 3.2.1 features can be found here
Enterprise Manager for Oracle Cloud (SSA) 126.96.36.199 enables the new capabilities provided by Enterprise manager for Oracle Virtualization plug-in 188.8.131.52 for self service users through self service portal.
Some of the key features and improvements in Enterprise Manager for Oracle Virtualization 184.108.40.206 and Enterprise Manager for Cloud 220.127.116.11 plug-ins for building Infrastructure as a Service cloud include:
• Faster and consistent synchronization with Oracle VM Manager – Any VM status change is reflected in Enterprise Manager must faster than before and more consistently. Both target status and OVM status of VM target instance in EM are consistently updated when VM goes through any status changes
• Improved UI page performance – Many of key UI pages for cloud management load much faster now
• Improved assembly deployment – There are multiple enhancements in this area including better error handling, improved and more robust Storage Repository selection for better distribution on storage usage, and enhanced network placement logic.
• Out of box assembly support - Database assemblies available in Self Update Console can be downloaded and used in Self Service Portal for easy deployment of database in your cloud. Deployment is completely integrated with EM agent deployment so that host and applications like database instance can be discovered and managed when the assembly deployment is complete
Follow the steps below to enable the latest functionality using these plug-ins:
1. Apply patchset update (PSU) patch 14840279 to EM 12c Release 2 (18.104.22.168) OMS
$ORACLE_HOME. This is a recommended patch on 22.214.171.124.0
2. Deploy the Oracle Virtualization Plug-in 126.96.36.199.0 and Oracle Cloud Plug-in 188.8.131.52.0 on the OMS using the Enterprise Manager 12c console. If you plan to use the database assemblies, also deploy the Oracle Database Plug-in 184.108.40.206.0
To deploy the above three plug-ins use the following EM CLI command:
$ emcli login -username=sysman -password=<password>
$ emcli deploy_plugin_on_server -plugin="oracle.sysman.vt;oracle.sysman.ssa;oracle.sysman.db"
3. Apply the Virtualization Plug-in patch 16235354 on to the Plug-in $ORACLE_HOME. (Make
sure PSU mentioned in step 1 is applied before this step.)
4. Deploy the Oracle Virtualization 220.127.116.11.0 Plug-in on the Enterprise Manager Agent managing Oracle VM Manager using the Enterprise Manager console. (This is the agent used when registering the OVM Manager to Cloud Control)
5. Apply patch 16219750 on this same Agent used to manage the Oracle VM Manager target. This can be done via a Patching Plan in the Enterprise Manager Console.
6. Apply the Virtualization Plug-in patch 16235337 on the Agent. (Make sure patches mentioned in steps 3 and 5 are applied before this step - this can also be applied via a Patching Plan)
Refer to support note 1371536.1 for more details.