By octav on Oct 01, 2009
I just purchased a G2 phone from the local T-Mobile store. Naturally I am immediately inclined to compare with my 2nd gen iPhone. Since G2 is a also touch only phone, it gives my an opportunity to conduct a fare comparison. Here are my first impressions:
- Craftsmanship - great; better than my iPhone as far as I can tell.
- Screen is awesome (incredibly sharp). Resolution is 320x480, same as the iPhone
- Lightweight, yet not slippery; advantage G2.
- Intuitive to use, until you get to the browser functions, where you have to employ the "Menu" button to navigate to other URLs; advantage iPhone ... by a mile.
- The software keyboard is giving me a hard time. I consistently fail to use space bar and backspace. I am not sure if this is an issue with the touch screen Perhaps in time I'll get better.
- Finding and installing apps, was very easy and I was not asked to add any credentials. I downloaded a free demo Air Hockey application. Given that I have not spent a lot of time in this area yet, I'll call it even.
- Dialer (this is a phone after all); not as sleek and integrated with visual voice mail as the iPhone.
- Pleasant surprises:
- Once I logged in during the setup, my contacts were populated with my gmail contacts data