A couple of weeks ago I wrote about the release of the Solaris 10 09/10 VirtualBox VM
. Yesterday, a VirtualBox image for Solaris 11 Express
was released. Here are the quick steps to get it up and running:
- Download the Oracle Solaris 11 Express 2010.11 VM for Oracle VM VirtualBox.
- Extract the archive:
bleonard@solaris:~/Download$ unzip OracleSolaris11Express2010_11_VM.zip
- Start VirtualBox and select File > Import Appliance. Then select the OracleSolaris11Express2010_11.ovf file that was just extracted.
- On the Appliance Import Wizard, feel free to bump the RAM from the default of 1024 MB if
you have it to spare. I'm setting mine to 1536 MB:
- Click Finish and wait a few minutes while the VM is imported:
- Start the OracleSolaris11Express2010_11 Virtual Machine. Unlike the Solaris 10 VM, the Solaris 11 Express VM comes pre-configured, so you're immediately able to start using the system. When prompted, enter the username oracle and the password oracle:
Note, the VirtualBox Guest Additions are pre-installed:
Also, the hard disk isn't quite as generous as the 64 GB disk that ships with the Solaris 10 VM. Here we only have 20 GB:
oracle@solaris:~$ pkginfo -l SUNWvboxguest
NAME: Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions
VENDOR: Oracle Corporation
DESC: Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions for Solaris guests
INSTDATE: Jan 10 2011 11:50
HOTLINE: Please contact your local service provider
STATUS: completely installed
FILES: 50 installed pathnames
3 linked files
22011 blocks used (approx)
Finally, it would probably help to know the root password. It's ovsroot.
oracle@solaris:~$ zpool list rpool
NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE CAP DEDUP HEALTH ALTROOT
rpool 19.9G 4.24G 15.6G 21% 1.00x ONLINE -
Actually, the user oracle is in the /etc/sudoers file, so you don't really need the root password:
oracle@solaris:~$ sudo su
We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:
#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.