Solaris 10 9/10 VirtualBox VM
By Brian Leonard on Jan 19, 2011
A pre-built VirtualBox virtual machine of Solaris 10 9/10, the latest update, has recently been published. The pre-built VM gets you quickly up and running with Solaris 10. Just follow these steps:
- Download the Oracle Solaris 10 9/10 Virtual Machine for Oracle VM VirtualBox. It's 1.8 GBs.
- Extract the Archive:
- Start VirtualBox and select File > Import Appliance. Then select the Solaris10_9-10.ovf file that was just extracted.
- On the Appliance Import Wizard, set the Guest OS Type to Solaris modern (S10U8+). Also feel free to bump the RAM from the default of 1024 MB if you have it to spare. I'm setting mine to 1536 MB:
- Click Finish and wait a few minutes while the VM is imported (Note, the dialog may initially say something ridiculous like 20 hours remaining. You can safely ignore this.):
- Start the Solaris 10_9-10 Virtual Machine. The machine is delivered unconfigured, so on first boot you'll need to select your keyboard layout, network connectivity, security policy, name service, NFSv4 domain name, time zone and root password. Once these settings are selected the system will reboot into the Solaris 10 desktop:
Note, the VirtualBox Guest Additions are pre-installed:
# pkginfo -l SUNWvboxguest PKGINST: SUNWvboxguest NAME: Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions CATEGORY: application ARCH: i386 VERSION: 3.2.8,REV=r64453.2010.08.05.14.52 BASEDIR: / VENDOR: Oracle Corporation DESC: Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions for Solaris guests PSTAMP: vboxguest20100805145230_r64453 INSTDATE: Sep 14 2010 17:23 HOTLINE: Please contact your local service provider EMAIL: email@example.com STATUS: completely installed FILES: 51 installed pathnames 3 linked files 4 directories 19 executables 19628 blocks used (approx)
# zpool list NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE CAP HEALTH ALTROOT rpool 63.5G 4.57G 58.9G 7% ONLINE - # zfs list NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT rpool 5.10G 57.4G 32.5K /rpool rpool/ROOT 3.57G 57.4G 21K legacy rpool/ROOT/s10_0910 3.57G 57.4G 3.57G / rpool/dump 1.00G 57.4G 1.00G - rpool/export 44K 57.4G 23K /export rpool/export/home 21K 57.4G 21K /export/home rpool/swap 544M 57.9G 16K -
bleonard@solaris:~/Download/$ unzip Solaris10_9-10_VM.zip Archive: Solaris10_9-10_VM.zip inflating: README.txt inflating: Solaris10_9-10.mf inflating: Solaris10_9-10.ovf inflating: Solaris10_9-10.vmdk