Top Ten Benefits of Working From Home
By Nicholas Solter on Apr 12, 2007
My previous post was called, “Why I Joined Sun.” This post could probably be titled, “Why I still work for Sun.” For the past 5 1/2 years I've been working exclusively from home through Sun's openwork program, and I love it. At this point I'm not sure I could go back to working in an office building every day. I'll comment more on working-from-home (or telecommuting, as some people call it) in subsequent posts. But for now, here's my top-ten list, in no particular order:
- No commute! I can go from sleeping to working in my office in 30 seconds if I need to.
- I have a larger and nicer office than I'd ever get in a Sun building. I even have my own bathroom!
- No drop-in interruptions from co-workers. If I need to focus on a task, I can just close my email client and turn off my phone.
- It's easier to work exercise into my daily routine. I typically run on the treadmill first thing in the morning, work for an hour or two, then eat breakfast and take a shower. I don't think my co-workers would appreciate that schedule if I had to go into an office!
- I get to see my family more. I can usually have lunch with them, and am able to spend my breaks with them instead of in small talk over the water cooler in an office.
- I can multi-task during boring meetings. If I'm dialed into a meeting that doesn't demand my full attention I can continue with my work simultaneously.
- I don't have to buy lunch or remember to make a lunch ahead of time. I can just walk downstairs to the kitchen and eat leftovers, or quickly make myself a sandwich when I get hungry.
- I don't have to take time off work to wait for repair people coming to my house.
- I am judged by co-workers solely on what I get done, not on when I come into or leave the office (since they don't know when I start or end work).
- I don't have to live anywhere near my home office. I currently live in beautiful Colorado Springs, Colorado, which is about 1000 miles away from and one mile higher than my core team in Menlo Park, California.