OpenSolaris2008.11 - The Best Ever

 After flashing the news for weeks, OpenSolaris2008.11 was released formally ( the pre-release version was available for downloading which explains the network congestion!!) yesterday.


The new release is a massive improvement (in terms of code as well as docs) over the previous release, OpenSolaris2008.05. A large no of devices which were not supported by the OS are now supported. A large no of bug fixes and a large no of enhancements have been implemented.

Some of the latest features are:

  •  ZFS Time Slider: It presents a very neat graphical view where you can go back in time and correct your mistakes.
  • CPU Power Management: Now you can manage your CPU power the way you want.
  • A webstack complete with 64 bit MySQL, Cherrypy and Dtrace for Ruby.
  • Distribution Constructor, which simplifies the installation of any package from the repository.
  • SongBird media player with Gstreamer. This is one big relief for music lovers!!
In agreement with IEEE and The Open Group(TOG), the new release has more than 700+ new man pages that contain portions of specifications copyrighted by these organisations. Currently the new version has more than 5500 man pages which accounts for about 95% of the total man pages. Work is going on to get the remaining 5% man pages into the future releases.  

All this in just about 6 months!! All thanks to the highly active OpenSolaris Community. 

Check out the launch video of the release and download the best OS ever.


Comments:

Post a Comment:
  • HTML Syntax: NOT allowed
About

Nischal Rao

Search

Categories
Archives
« April 2014
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
   
       
Today