OpenSolaris2008.11 - The Best Ever
By Nischal Rao on Dec 11, 2008
After flashing the news for weeks, OpenSolaris2008.11 was released formally ( the pre-release version was available for downloading which explains the network congestion!!) yesterday.
The new release is a massive improvement (in terms of code as well as docs) over the previous release, OpenSolaris2008.05. A large no of devices which were not supported by the OS are now supported. A large no of bug fixes and a large no of enhancements have been implemented.
Some of the latest features are:
- ZFS Time Slider: It presents a very neat graphical view where you can go back in time and correct your mistakes.
- CPU Power Management: Now you can manage your CPU power the way you want.
- A webstack complete with 64 bit MySQL, Cherrypy and Dtrace for Ruby.
- Distribution Constructor, which simplifies the installation of any package from the repository.
- SongBird media player with Gstreamer. This is one big relief for music lovers!!
All this in just about 6 months!! All thanks to the highly active OpenSolaris Community.