Sun GlassFish Web Stack video presentations
By Jeffrey Rubinoff on Aug 07, 2009
At CommunityOne, the Sun GlassFish Web Stack team gave a "Deep Dive" series of presentations on the web stack. Sun GlassFish Web Stack includes a fully integrated Apache, PHP, and MySQL package, as well as the GlassFish and Tomcat servers and Python and Ruby support (and lots of other stuff, too). It's currently available for OpenSolaris and Linux RedHat. (Note that if you don't want OpenSolaris as an OS on your machine, the stack works very nicely on OpenSolaris in a Sun Virtual Box VM.)
The team's presentations are available as videos from Sun Learning Services. If you don't mind getting a My Sun Online account (or you already have one), you may find these presentations interesting.
Probably the two most broadly relevant presentations are:
- https://slx.sun.com/1179274784 - Introduction to Sun GlassFish Web Stack Deep Dive. This describes the web stack and all the technologies it incorporates, as well as the differences between the OpenSolaris and RedHat versions.
- https://slx.sun.com/1179274787 - NetBeans and DTrace. This presentation first shows how the PHP web stack is integrated with the OpenSolaris desktop. Features include setting the PHP web stack options without manually editing configuration files, including how to enable debugging with NetBeans. The presentation also demonstrates the NetBeans features for developing PHP applications and the DTrace plugin for NetBeans.
Other interesting presentations are:
- https://slx.sun.com/1179274785 - Apache HTTP Server Performance
- https://slx.sun.com/1179274788 - A Simple Yet Powerful Tool for Monitoring AMP Deployments
- https://slx.sun.com/1179274792 - Scaling the Web Stack with MySQL and Memcached
- https://slx.sun.com/1179274796 - Webstack 1.5 PHP runtime - Under the Hood
- https://slx.sun.com/1179274797 - Improving PHP Performance in the Web Tier