By Neha Goel on Jun 28, 2008
The major issue comes in any operating system is with installing applications. When ever we start working with any operating system we would like to install different applications on our system. In solaris the application installation is different. Every application comes in form of a package which contains all the necessary installation files, and directories.
For solaris there are online repositories which contains packages providing their installation to the user like blastwave.org or sunfreeware.com. Installing any application and running it is very easy, just a few commands are required to understand.Let say i have to install a gcc package on my system
(1) Go to any online repository, lets say www.blastwave.org
(2) The primary requirement to get a package from here is to install a package pkg-get firs. After installing this package you can install any application with one command.
(3) For installing pkg-get, go to the terminal and type
# pkgadd -d http://www.blastwave.org/pkg_get.pkg
With this command the package pkg-get will get installed. The package will get installed in the directory /opt/csw/bin
(4) For using the command pkg-get either you have to set your path to /opt/csw/bin or you can give the full path at the terminal
(5) Now for installing gcc, you just need to give one command
# /opt/csw/bin/pkg-get -i gcc
(please check the name of the package from the blastwave packages list, the name should be written correctly)
Any application can be installed on the system by using pkg-get command. If you have installed any application like mplayer and wants to run it, you just need to do one more step
# cd /opt/csw/bin ( This should be the path where you applications gets installed)
This is just a simple way for installing applications on the solaris system. You just need to know 2-3 commands and you can install any application on your system.