HOW TO USE SECONDLIFE IN SOLARIS
By Neha Goel on Jun 25, 2008
As you all know Second Life is the most upcoming thing in present scenario. It is a virtual 3-D world created by its residents. From the time it was invented, it has grown explosively and today is inhabited by millions of residents. And you know what is great about it that its membership is totally free means that you can have a virtual world of entertainment, intelligence, experiences and opportunity. Just look at the way it is benefiting its users. All benefits at no cost. Its cool na. To know more about second life, visit http://secondlife.com/
(1) To be a part of Second life you have to first go for its membership, where first you need to select your second life community, https://secure-web4.secondlife.com/join/
(2) After that you need to enter your second life name. Be careful while selecting as it can't be changed afterwards, then you have to give your birth date and then your e-mail address.
(3) After that you have to download the software for second life and install it on your system. Depending upon your operating system there are downloads given like for Windows 2000/XP/Vista, Mac systems, linux. http://www.secondlife.com/community/downloads.php
(4) The software of secondlife for solaris is not given there. You can get it from here, http://www.zshare.net/download/141741526b8ae3f7/ (this package works fine with x86 systems, no idea of sparc with this package)
(5) Download the package and save it to any location you want to.
(6) For all the operating systems other than solaris the way to install is given on secondlife page. For solaris,
(a) open the terminal
(b) go to the location where you had saved the tar ball
(c) bash-3.00# gunzip s.pkg.tar.gz
(d) bash-3.00# tar -xvf s.pkg.tar
(c) bash-3.00# pkgadd -d s.pkg
(d) check the installation directory.In most of the cases it is opt.
(e) bash-3.00# cd /opt/secondlife/bin
(f) bash-3.00# ./secondlife wait for some time.it will take time to load
(7) A welcome screen will appear now, where you have to enter your second life name and then the password. For getting your password you have to check your mail ID. Your second life name and password will be there only.
(8) After that you have to accept terms and conditions and now you can enjoy the second life......