VisualVM 1.1 Released
By Jiri Sedlacek-Oracle on Dec 08, 2008
New version of the VisualVM tool has been released. VisualVM 1.1 introduces many new features and improvements, extends the API for plugins and delivers a complete JavaDoc documentation. Now integrates with the Eclipse IDE and IntelliJ IDEA!
These are the new features of VisualVM 1.1 as mentioned in the Release Notes:
- Monitoring CPU usage and Garbage Collector activity for each application in the Monitor tab
- Table view in the Threads tab (introduced by the NetBeans profiler 6.5)
- Three commandline options to enable using VisualVM as an application or snapshot viewer:
--openpid <pid>starts VisualVM if not already running and opens a Java application with the process id
--openjmx <hostname:port>starts VisualVM if not already running and opens a Java application defined by a JMX connection
--openfile <file>starts VisualVM if not already running and opens a supported file (\*.tdump, \*.hprof, \*.nps, \*.apps)
- Compare Memory Snapshots action available in Applications window context menu for two selected comparable snapshots
- About dialog allows to copy configuration information to clipboard and save the logfile to an external file
- IBM JVM can be monitored by VisualVM using a JMX connection
- Eclipse integration plugin which starts VisualVM along with the monitored application directly from the IDE
- Integration with IntelliJ IDEA is already available, see the Profiler Plugin by Esko Luontola
- Experimental support for HP-UX PA-RISC platform (incl. profiling)
The last significant change is using the latest NetBeans Platform and profiler 6.5 - this means many framework and profiler bugfixes being available also in VisualVM.
VisualVM 1.1 can be downloaded at https://visualvm.dev.java.net. Feedback to VisualVM developers can be sent using this mailing list. The online JavaDoc documentation can be found here. Note that there's also a Releases Overview page available which lists all VisualVM releases and shows which VisualVM version is included in JDK as Java VisualVM.