By sriram on Jul 30, 2009
Thought, I would share some of my OSCON'09 , where I spent some of the last week representing Sun at our booth besides attending some very interesting sessions. Our team presented a session as well - Web Stack - Next Generation Open Web Infrastructure. We had a nice presence at our booths . We talked about OpenSolaris, GlassFish Web Stack and even gave away couple of iPod as well (as you can see here - Tim Bray graciously selected the winner for one of our iPod winner and Kai Seidler stopped by to select the winner for our second iPod.)
Well, couple of very interesting things that I observed during my presence at our Sun booth - where I did have a chance to meet lot of OSCON attendees :
- most common question put to me was - do you know what is going to happen to you after Oracle acquisition ? Well, I guess, after a while I had these coming out of my lips even without realizing - "Currently the acquisition hasn't completed yet. So, Sun and Oracle still continues to operate as a separate company etc and honestly I have no clue whatsoever."
- When I talked about OpenSolaris 2009.06, Web Stack project , Sun GlassFish Web Stack , Web Stack Enterprise Manager and our latest Web Stack 1.5 release - the most common question I got was "Why do you GlassFish in your product name ? Is Sun GlassFish Web Stack Enterprise Manager same as GlassFish Enterprise Manager?" . Well, this is one of the other answers that I had to repeat myself hundreds of times (if not more) "Sun is currently selling support for our project (where we hope to make money) as part of GlassFish portfolio and I guess, hence our product's name got prefixed with such popular open source project like GlassFish .
- Interestingly, lot of folks showed lot of interest in our Web Stack 1.5 release on Linux. Even some of them were wondering if our stack can run on Ubuntu. Honestly, I was quite surprised.
Besides, we had different Birds of Feather sessions too (and had some very good attendance for some of these BoF sessions...)
- Hacking Open Source Web Stack for Laconica
- Drill down PHP performance on Multi core systems
- Building blocks for AMP monitoring and Visualization.
- Dynamic Tracing of your AMP web site. You can grab my BoF slides from here. We also recorded a video during my BoF which also captured the demo. I will be glad to share it with you folks when I get my hands on it.