Sun Java System Web Server 7.0 is available...
By sriram on Jan 23, 2007
Well, looks like 2007 is indeed going to be Happy New Year'07 for Sun's Web Server 7.0 development team.
Today, we got a mail from our marketing team that our long awaited release is finally out the door. Am I not glad to share the joy with all of you folks about this release. This release, albeit a bit late, is packed with ton of features. If you haven't already, please take time to look at What's New in this Release. I am sure, you would love what you see. Well, the most important thing that I personally would like to take back from the whole development experience is the passion that I see from my peers for this product and the attitude to do it right. As I mentioned some time back, I find myself lucky to be amongst such a passionate and expert development group.
Currently, you can get download and use Sun Java System Web Server 7.0 bits (for free) from Sun's "New Downloads" web page. I am sure, with all of your help, we could get this release to the 'Top Downloads' section as well. For folks, who have been using Sun's Web Server 7.0 Technology Preview 3 - our last technology preview release, time to move towards the released product though you guys have found our product pretty stable and happy with it !.
For folks, who still wonder as to why do I need another Web Server, here are some of the cool things that you can do with Web Server 7.0
- Get on to Web 2.0 world by developing Web Services and AJAX enabled web sites using NetBeans. Kindly take time to check out the article Web Services with Web Server 7.0 and Developing AJAX using jMaki with Web Server 7.0
- Supports Wikis for team collaboration. Check out article on deploying MediaWiki with Web Server 7.0 and JSPWiki with Web Server 7.0 - the 2 popular Wiki software out there. Afcourse, there are tons of other Wiki softwares as well. If you need help or have trouble in running or deploying any of them with Sun's Java System Web Server 7.0 (formerly known as Sun ONE Web Server or iPlanet Enterprise Server), please feel free to post to Sun's Software forum - for free help !
- For the kicker - Sun Java System Web Server 7.0, built on top of our previous version, Sun's Java System Web Server 6.1 , which has the SPECweb2005 world record Perf/Watt. You can get all the performance numbers from here
I do have a couple of favorite features , that I personally love in new release. Web Server 7.0 - Ability to create SSL enabled web sites and the rich & cool command line support for Web Server administration. If in case, you did get a chance to try out this new release, we would like to hear back from you as to what we did right and your favorite features (if any) and what we could have done better ? Hey, there is always another chance - Update releases !
Useful links that you might want to bookmark in your browser
- Web Server 7.0 documentation
- Web Server Software Forum - for free help
- Web Server Technical Articles & BluePrints
- Sun's BigAdmin Collections