Living out of Oracle Unbreakable Linux on your laptop!
By user13499713 on Feb 08, 2013
I started living out of Oracle's Unbreakable Linux for the past 1 month on my official laptop! And I could successfully do it after few tweaks and escapades, had to install and configure a couple of times prior, but finally I could live without going back to my windows after stabilization of the OS.
Interestingly this forms my first blog after Oracle's takeover of Sun (where I was living out of Open Solaris 11 on my laptop). Except for missing the Office's flexibility(I feel now Libre Office is good enough) and Datacard (Docomo seems to have an option ) no major issues, in fact life has become better and faster!
Thought of sharing few tips which can make your life easier to start with
- For ones who think stbeehive conferencing doesn't work, Java FX has the JNLP launcher which can do all the stuff the installer does on Windows platform.
- Update /etc/hosts.ac file instead of /etc/hosts file since you will be running VPN
- "yum install oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall" -- for installing Oracle XE DB
- You need to run "yum" for few times for utilities like VLC/Movie Player
- Install the fonts of Windows onto Linux
- Solaris users need to get used to -- 'ptree' becomes 'pstree' / 'ps -edf' becomes 'ps -aux' -- and more importantly -- in Linux ( '/bin' and '/usr/bin' are not one and the same )