By narayanaa on Dec 20, 2009
When ever you go in for GlassFish Cluster deployment please ensure that you do the following before and after installation so that the setup works without any issues:
- Install the latest version of JDK available
- See that the machines that have the NodeAgents / Instances on the same subnet. Clustering doen't work with machines that are not on the same subnetwork.
- Enable Multicasting with in the subnet where the cluster installation is taking place. -- SHOAL which is the backbone of the cluster requires multicast to be enabled. You can test the Multicast on the network by the simple instruction you can can find here and here. Not checking these 2 might result in either the instances not joining the network or session replication failure.
- Install the GlassFish with latest patch available. -- This step ensures that lot of the bugs are fixed which might be discovered later in the production.
- Once installed ensure that the sample cluster application that is bundled with the GlassFish is deployed and runs properly in the cluster. This sample is bundled with the <GlassFishInstallFolder>/samples/quickstart/clusterjsp folder.
These steps (which might take 30 mins.) ensure that the GlassFish Cluster Installation in the envisaged manner and saves lot of trouble shooting time.
Hope you find these steps useful. Happy Clustering!!!