MySQL Workbench 6.1.3 RC has been released
By User12602715-Oracle on Mar 24, 2014
MySQL Workbench 6.1 is the upcoming major update for the official MySQL graphical development tool.
Introducing over 30 new features, this version has many significant enhancement focusing on real-time performance assessment and analysis from the SQL statement level to server internals and file IO. You'll see this in additions to the SQL Editor as well as new dashboard visualization and reporting that takes advantage of MySQL Server 5.6 and 5.7 Performance Schema, and enhancements to the MySQL Explain Plans.
Additionally Workbench 6.1 is leveraging work from various teammates in MySQL Engineering by introducing a schema called "SYS" that provides simplified views on Performance Schema, Information Schema, and other areas. Special thanks to the server optimizer team, server runtime team, and Mark Leith. For Oracle DBAs MySQL SYS is similar to the V$ catalog views and MSSQL folks its like DMVs (Dynamic Management Views).
MySQL Workbench 6.1 includes:
- Improved drag and drop support in the Home screen and SQL Editor
- Visual Explain 2. The Visual Explain feature was revamped and is now easier to read and interpret. You can also get the traditional tabular explain output from within the same interface.
- Performance Dashboard. A graphical representation of some key statistics from the server status, gives you a bird's eye view of the status of key server subsystems.
- For advanced users, Performance Schema Instrumentation. A GUI for configuring the Performance Schema in detail, for advanced users.
- Performance Schema based reporting. Gives insight into the operation of the server through many high-level reports.
- New query result view. Get more information about queries you execute, such as information about the fields in your result set and key performance statistics from your query (timing, index usage, number of rows scanned, joins etc).
- Form Editor for resultsets. In addition to the result grid, you can now edit records row by row in a form style editor.
- Table Inspector. Similar to the Schema Inspector, view detailed information from tables. A streamlined interface for creating indexes is also included.
- Support for the Windows accessibility API and Windows high contrast color schemes. A new high contrast theme has been introduced.
- And more.
More than 60 enhancement requests and bugs reported by users have also been addressed, providing performance, usability and stability improvements across the board.
For the full list of bugs fixed in this revision, visit
For discussion, join the MySQL Workbench Forums:
Download MySQL Workbench 6.1.3 RC now, for Windows, Mac OS X 10.6+, Oracle Linux 6, Fedora 19, Fedora 20, Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu 13.10 or sources, from:
In Windows, you can also use the integrated MySQL Installer to update MySQL Workbench and other MySQL products.
- Download: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/tools/workbench/
- Bugs: http://bugs.mysql.com
- Forums: http://forums.mysql.com/index.php?151