InnoDB 2012 Spring Labs Release
By Calvin Sun on Apr 10, 2012
Note: this article was originally published on http://blogs.innodb.com on April 10, 2012 by Calvin Sun.
InnoDB team is pleased to announce the 2012 Spring labs release, with several much anticipated new features and performance enhancements. Please download mysql-5.6-labs-april-2012 from MySQL Labs and give a try. Do not forget to provide your feedback.
The 2012 Spring labs release on MySQL Labs consists of the following InnoDB new features, which are not in the newly released MySQL 5.6.5 DMR yet:
- Online DDL: some of the DDLs are now truly online, including ADD INDEX, SET DEFAULT, and DROP FOREIGN KEY.
- Memcached plugin: with additional features, such as SASL support.
- Transportable tablespace: allow user to export data files and import them into another MySQL instance.
- Persistent statistics ON/OFF switch: the ability of controlling persistent statistics on table level.
- Option for specifying locations of InnoDB tables: allows user to choose the location of specific tables.
This labs release also includes several performance and scalability improvements, specially on modern CPUs:
- Reduced false sharing
- Configurable fast mutexes
- my_hash_sort_simple() loop unrolling
- Improved adaptive flushing
- Improved neighbor flushing
With those improvements, (InnoDB) read-only performance reaches a new high. Please see Mikael’s blog for some of the improvements. You will see the benchmark results on DimitriK’s blog. And the InnoDB team will also continue publishing technical details in the coming days on this site.
We intend to make those new features & improvements into future development milestone releases and GA releases. Thanks for being interested in InnoDB!