MySQL University: How to Use Charsets and Collations Properly
By Stefanhinz-Oracle on Mar 16, 2009
This Thursday (March 19th, 14:00 UTC), Susanne Ebrecht will give a MySQL University session on How to Use Charsets and Collations Properly. Susanne works at the MySQL Support team and is an expert in character set issues.
For MySQL University sessions, point your browser to this page. You need a browser with a working Flash plugin. You may register for a Dimdim account, but you don't have to. (Dimdim is the conferencing system we're using for MySQL University sessions. It provides integrated voice streaming, chat, whiteboard, session recording, and more.) All MySQL University sessions are recorded, that is, slides and voice can be viewed as a Flash movie (.flv). You can find those recordings on the respective MySQL University session pages which are listed on the MySQL University home page.
MySQL University is a free educational online program for engineers/developers. MySQL University sessions are open to anyone, not just Sun employees. Sessions are recorded (slides and audio), so if you can't attend the live session you can look at the recording anytime after the session.
Here's the schedule for the upcoming weeks:
- March 19, 2009: How to Use Charsets and Collations Properly (Susanne Ebrecht)
- March 26, 2009: No session scheduled
- April 2, 2009: How to Create a Test Case (updated session from 2007) (Patrick Crews)
- April 9, 2009: No MySQL University session scheduled (due to upcoming Easter vacation in Europe)
- April 16, 2009 (tentative): Going Nuts - How to write MySQL test cases in Perl (Luis Soares, Alfranio Correia, Serge Kozlov, Lars Thalmann)
- April 23, 2009: No MySQL University session during MySQL Conference & Expo 2009
- April 30, 2009: Testing Multiple Servers With MySQL Sandbox (Giuseppe Maxia)
- May 7, 2009: MySQL Replication: Walk-through of the new 5.1 and 6.0 features (Lars Thalmann)
- May 14, 2009: Programming Towards Multi-Core CPUs (Mikael Ronström)
- May 21, 2009: To be scheduled
- May 28, 2009: Architecture of MySQL Backup (Lars Thalmann)
- June 4, 2009: Boosting Performance With MySQL 5.1 Partitioning (Giuseppe Maxia)
- June 11, 2009: Building MySQL Releases on Unix (Jörg Brühe)
The schedule is not engraved in stone at this point. Please visit http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/MySQL_University#Upcoming_Sessions for the up-to-date list. On that page, you can also find the starting time for many time zones.