As MySQL is thriving and growing, we're looking for an experienced
technical writer to join the MySQL documentation team. The documentation
team is located in EMEA and in North America, and so you should be.
For this job, we need the best and most dedicated people around.
You will be part of a geographically distributed documentation team
responsible for the technical documentation of all MySQL products. Team
members are expected to work independently, requiring discipline and
excellent time-management skills as well as the technical facilities and
experience to communicate across the Internet.
Candidates should be prepared to work intensively with our
engineers and support personnel. The overall team is highly distributed
across different geographies and time zones. Our source format is DocBook XML. We're not just writing documentation, but also handling publication, including maintenance of our toolset (XML, XSLT, Perl, Python). This means you should be familiar with DocBook and related areas, and willing to learn our publication infrastructure.
Your areas of responsibility would initially be MySQL Optimization and Performance Tuning, MySQL Information Schema and Performance Schema, and MySQL High Availability. Documenting APIs, especially with a focus on JSON and NoSQL, should not be foreign to you.
This means you should be familiar with MySQL in general, and preferably
also with performance tuning and optimization of relational databases. A
MySQL certification will be considered an advantage.
Other qualifications you should have:
- Native English speaker
- 5 or more years previous experience in writing software documentation
- Familiarity with distributed working environments and versioning systems such as SVN or Git
- Comfortable with working on multiple operating systems, particularly Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux
- Ability to administer own workstations and test environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to provide (online) samples of your work, e.g. books or articles
If you're interested, contact me under email@example.com.