Oracle User Group Norway Spring seminar 2014 to Kiel is over, and from an Oracle Applications perspective I wanted to share some experience for the benefit of potential attendees next year.
- OUGN is becoming an organization also for Application users! As Oracle is turning its focus more towards Cloud when it comes to marketing events and updates, I see OUGN picking up the On-Premise legacy and turning into a forum for customers running Oracle EBS, Siebel, Peoplesoft and JDE. Members decide the content, which makes it more useful and valuable for customers not in a purchasing cycle.
- Applications are moving into focus! Traditionally OUGN has been very much about Oracle technology, not so much Applications (see my other blog post) – but this has absolutely started to change. Both customers and partners are now starting to focus more on Applications and Applications Technology. OUGN, partners and Oracle is committed to the Applications track, which provided excellent content from customers, partners and subject matter experts. Sessions often continued as interesting topics being picked up outside for deeper discussions with the presenters. My personal favorites were the opening keynote by Andrew Sutherland, which in my honest opinion left the professional moderator in the shadows. During the track sessions I liked the two Fusion Apps enlightenment sessions by Debra Lilley and the eye-opening presentation on practical usage of Oracle BI given by Ģirts Vikmanis from Latvenergo.
- You cannot avoid to learn a lot! In addition to the scheduled content, the venue is really designed for networking! A varied selection of arenas for knowledge and experience exchange are provided, among them the meals, of course - breakfast, lunch and dinner, during the breaks around coffee and refreshments, for a deeper chat just grabbing a corner or table for a 1:1, in the bar - or even outside on deck enjoying a nice sunset.
- Skeptical about an event on a boat? Don’t think boat - think luxury hotel – Vegas-style! My image of the rusty, worn-out tobacco-infected hull overfilled with noisy, drunken people is way gone. Color Magic was a very nice venue for a conference; spacious, relaxed, professional hosts, excellent food and dining, comfortable seating and rooms. Couldn’t ask for more.
- Digital Detox! Yes, out at sea the options for being online are limited and costly. That is why you will not see a live SaaS demo here. Presenters are however creative about ways for getting around this. We saw smooth screenshot demos, flash demos, youtube movies and even a 4-section full-screen movie (served with cold beers!). Some connectivity was obviously still to be found, have a look at the twitter feeds covering the trip #OUGN14.
My wish is now that OUGN and Oracle first of all encourage all Oracle Applications customers to join OUGN. After all it’s free and it should be a no-brainer to support an organization that exist only to promote networking among Oracle customers, and influencing Oracle for the benefits of its members.
Then, with your help OUGN Vårseminar 2015 (OUGN Spring Seminar 2015) will be the best ever and with even more and sharpened content for Oracle Applications users. See you there next year!
Oracle Presales Director