Buildable FOX repository
By moinakg on Jan 14, 2008
The Fully Open X (FOX) project's mercurial repository is now fairly well populated with Makefiles for all the Xorg modules available and has reached a point where the whole wad is now buildable on Nevada. In early December, I had pushed all the Xorg modules that I added to Solaris Xorg sources to create a complete X environment for BeleniX. However that was just the initial step.
Alan Coopersmith had also added package definitions for all the SUNW\* X11 packages that are redistributable to the repository. These package definitions refer to Solaris legacy X11 pathnames and will need to be modified to work with the FOX built binaries since FOX moves the whole X environment to /usr/X11 and just keeps compatibility symlinks around in /usr/openwin.
Over this weekend I added package definitions for all the FSW\* X11packages that are in BeleniX and Indiana and updated the repository with a series of modifications and patches. So now it is possible to build the whole repository and get a working set of X11 packages which includes the FSW ones. However ultimately the intention is to get rid of the FSW packages and update all the SUNW packages to work with FOX builds. That is a big drudgery of a job and will need some time.
There were some X11 compatibility issues reported against Indiana that caused many Solaris GUI apps including StarOffice to not work on Indiana. This was mainly had to do with missing symbols in Xorg's libXext that were present in the Solaris version of libXext. Alan has now added patches to the FOX repository to fix these problems so StarOffice should work out of the box in the upcoming Indiana beta release.
One thing that is still a known limitation is the lack of proper l10n support in the libX11 provided by FOX. The Globalization team is working on this. As you can see there is still a lot of work to do. If you wish to play with the FOX repo you can follow the build instructions at: http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/fox/build_inst/
- You need a recent Nevada build and your build machine should on the net.
- Install SUN Studio 11 (latest version with patch 120759-08 or greater).
- Install JDS Common Build Environment (CBE)
- Checkout the FOX repository:
hg clone ssh://email@example.com/hg/fox/fox-gate
- Now cd to fox-gate and run ./download-tarballs to fetch all the source tarballs
- Next run ./buildit and go and do some shopping. The build takes a lot of time. If you are interested in grokking compiler output you can execute: tail -f log/buildit-XW
- Once you have a successful build you can generate packages by doing the following:
- cd fox-gate/XW_NW