Enterprise mobility is here to stay, but many customers are still bound to their desktops due to the lack of a mobile solution. Either that, or existing mobile solutions cannot be easily extended or customized to satisfy unique and demanding business requirements, may also lack “mobile first” capabilities such as push notifications, offline/sync and location services, nor offer insights into the effectiveness of the mobile strategy.
To add to the complexity, ERP installations are often highly customized.
As a result, upgrades to newer versions become difficult, very
expensive and end up getting deferred. These customers still want to
enhance their employee productivity as well as keep pace with technology
trends, while planning the transition to a newer application version or
perhaps even to a SaaS based offering. They would also like to create
an abstraction layer which will help in the future transition by
decoupling the mobile implementation from the backend application.
In keeping with the “Build Better Apps Faster with Oracle Mobile” theme, Oracle now offers fully extensible mobile solutions for E-Business Suite and JD Edwards that addresses these issues and more.
Mobile Self Service for Oracle E-Business Suite
B2C apps have set a very high bar for creativity and user experience; as a consequence, users have similar high expectations from the B2E apps that they use every day at work. This is especially important given today’s changing employee demographics and the expectation “there will be an app for that”. Many HR tasks (vacation requests and approvals, for instance) can be performed anytime, anywhere without being tethered to the desktop. Mobile enabling such tasks leads to real time decision making with quick turnaround. It is no surprise that studies have shown the use of mobile HR apps significantly improves job satisfaction and productivity, as well as aiding employee retention and recruitment.
Mobile Field Service for Oracle JD Edwards EnterpriseOne
The effectiveness of a mobile Field Service app increases exponentially when technicians have real time access to data hosted on multiple backend applications (customer provisioning, billing, inventory) at the point of service; are able to receive notifications and alerts in real time; be integrated with social networks to foster a collaborative process as well as having their schedules integrated with products such as Oracle Field Service Cloud to optimize the routing of service request. As Field Service technicians often work in remote locations with unreliable network coverage, a high performant offline experience is also critical for them to be successful.
Mobile Solution Details
The new Mobile Solutions are built using Oracle Mobile Cloud Service – an enterprise grade Mobile Backend as a Service (MBaaS) solution that provides a rich set of mobile platform and client development services to link mobile developers with enterprise data sources and empowers them to create engaging mobile experiences in a simple, intuitive manner.
- Mobile access to key HR self-service (vacation requests, time cards, approvals, etc) and Field Service (manage service equipment, add incident, inventory availability, create/manage work orders, etc) tasks
- Empower employees with modern mobile apps with intuitive user experience and self-service capabilities that allow them be more productive - anywhere, anytime, at their convenience.
- Eliminate complexity of connecting to backend applications via pre-built connectors from Oracle. Backend applications do not require any special modifications or upgrades.
- Extensible solution: Iteratively augment mobile application with additional services and data from multiple systems of records. Ability for enterprise to scale beyond first mobile app.
- Mobile apps built can be reused even after backed apps are modernized.
- End to end solution, provided and supported by Oracle.
- As these solutions are built using Oracle Mobile Cloud Service, they can
also use the built in Analytics support to: analyze adoption trends,
measure how (and how often) mobile applications are used, what
OS’s/devices are being used.
- In addition, analytics can also be used to diagnose work flow patterns. This is especially useful in the Field Service scenario to discover impediments that prevent service orders from being completed. For instance, are too many work orders on hold because technicians don’t have the right parts? Or perhaps technicians are unable complete their work orders on time because customers aren’t at home.
All MCS customers have access (at no additional cost) via the “Solution Downloads” link in the MCS Console. In addition to the source code, there is documentation on the solution architecture, configuration and setup as well as information on how to customize the apps. Customers also have the option of working with an Oracle partner to build additional extensions specifically tailored for their business requirements using these solutions.
For details on how you can Simplify Enterprise Mobility using the Oracle Mobile Platform, see: oracle.com/mobile.
Get the latest on Oracle Mobile at @OracleMobile