V2.2 is the new release of Oracle Mobile Application Framework (Oracle MAF). This blog provides an overview of several new features added in this release.
1. UI Components
This release introduces several new components and enhancements to help developers support latest mobile patterns
Swipe To Reveal :
Allows user to swipe on a row in a list to reveal contextual actions. This functionality can be added to an AMX page using <amx:accessoryLayout/> component.
Pull To Refresh :
Allows developers to swipe down and refresh the contents of a page. This capability can be added to a page using <amx:refreshContainer/> component.
New Layout Components
Allow developers to easily build flexible Dashboard and Grid layouts.
MasonaryLayout : Typically used for building Dashboard style pages involving tiles laid out in the form of a grid. The size of each tile can be adjusted using css. It provides the following key capabilities
- Adjusts layout based on the available width
- Allows drag and drop of tiles in the layout
FlexLayout: A layout component that displays its children in a group. It supports horizontal and vertical orientations, with automatic changes based on the device orientation. By default, the layout creates even space for each child, and stretches these children within its boundaries.
Data Visualization Enhancements :
- Stock Charts : Stock charts are useful for displaying stock data across time. A unique feature of stock charts is the ability to render series data as 'candlesticks' representing open, close, high, and low stock price data.
- Chart Drill Events : Allows users to tap on series or group or data items to raise drill events to drill in to the chart data
- Support for overview and vertical orientation for Timeline component
Alta Mobile V1.4 :
New skin with support for Google Material design for Android L
2. Data binding Enhancements
Support For Nested DataControl Context:
- Allows developers to build recursive navigation flows using Task Flows
- Isolate state at the Taskflow level
- Manage the number of Taskflow/DC instances maintained in the stack
- Example: Opportunity List -> Opportunity Detail -> Account Detail (from the account associated with the Opportunity) -> Related Opportunity List -> Opportunity Detail (with a different Opportunity than previous)
3. Navigation Enhancements
- Full support for Android back button
- Support for overriding the default behaviour using <amx:systemActionBehavior> tag or JS API
- “__back” navigation rule is used by default
- Support for limiting pageFlowScope variables to TaskFlow boundaries
4. Performance Improvements
- 30% overall performance improvement compared to previous release
- Major Performance improvements in the following areas
- JSON Parsing : New parser based on JSONP
- New Optimized JVM : 30-40% performance improvement in Java processing
- UI performance improvements to improve the page rendering time
Oracle MAF 2.2 has many exciting features and we encourage everyone to upgrade and give it a try. Several of the features listed above are used in the sample applications shipped with the release. Please refer to the samples for sample code. Component Gallery, Layout Demo and WorkBetter sample Apps cover most of the features listed above.