Feedback from our group owners
By tbonnema on Jan 28, 2009
Last week, we invited 85 of our group administrators to give us some feedback on Oracle Mix, how they use it and how we might be able to improve it for them.
We had about a 35% response rate to our open questionnaire. The answers validated a lot of what we already knew but also contained a few interesting suggestions and ideas which we'll look into.
Below is a summary of the responses.
What is your group about?
Some examples of the kind of groups people are involved with:
- Advisory board group
- Regional groups for partners (e.g. APAC CRM partners)
- Product-related groups for customers and interested Oracle employees
- Groups for Field Marketing event attendees
- Virtual communities in the Sales/Pre-Sales world
- User groups
- Groups for specific IT topic areas (eg. SOA/BPM, Architecture)
- Forum for Oracle E-Business Suite users
- Groups around certain products
- Groups for evangelizing social technology, Enterprise 2.0 in Japan
What are you trying to achieve?
No big surprises here:
- Get people together around a product, a place, or an existing (external from Oracle) group.
- Bridge customers and product users with product development.
- Manage feature recommendation and steering.
- Allow partners to communicate and share ideas and experiences on CRM products.
- Provide a forum for both Oracle and Oracle partners for information sharing, idea sharing, networking.
- Interact with clients around products.
- Manage input from clients and employees for certain events.
- Provide pre-event information and follow-up.
- Communicate meeting schedule/details and upcoming topics to select customers and provide general archive.
- Getting to know people better, enable better communication and collaborative working.
- Provide a knowledge warehouses for JDE experts.
- Share knowledge and grow a community where people learn from each other.
- Network, share ideas, ask questions, and mostly just further knowledge by harnessing the power of the whole group.
- Simply maintain an extension on Mix to existing websites of a certain community or group.
- Provide a community component to a podcast series.
How could Mix support you better? What are the three things we should focus on over the next three months?
Here's the list of ideas and requests that were mentioned more than once:
- Improved activity log and easier ways to receive updates (9)
- Content sharing (file embedding, RSS import) (7)
- Better involvement of internal Oracle people (4)
- File upload (4)
- Better marketing of Oracle Mix (incl. better support and guidance how to use it) (3)
- Rich-text editor (2)
- Easier login process (incl. making more information publicly available) (2)
- Better options for management of group members (2)
- Avoid duplicate email notifications (2)
- Ability for group administrators to notify all group members (2)
- Integration with external sites or services (both Oracle and non-Oracle) (2)
- Improved search capabilities (incl. group-specific search) (2)
* * *
Thanks to all who participated. All in all, this is very much in line with the general feedback we have received. I will share details about our plans for February shortly. Looks like we might be able to get a few of these items checked off fairly soon.