What is webrev and cr.opensolaris.org?
By migi on Sep 22, 2008
In short webrev is a tool which allows contributors to generate very nice websites with all the changes to the code, so other people can review it and apply patch which is also a part of the generated webrev. The http://cr.opensolaris.org/ is a site where you can publish webrevs.
Few examples of my webrevs: http://cr.opensolaris.org/~migi/
My head is not a trash bin, so I am never trying to remember where can I find webrev tool, so here are the instructions :)
#### GENERATING WEBREV ####
What you will need:
- Some source code for example IPS (note the anon user for the SENDING WEBREV):
hg clone ssh://email@example.com/hg/pkg/gate \\ gate_with_my_changes
If you don't have
hg command you can install it from IPS repository using command
pkg install SUNWmercurial
The easiest way of getting is to follow the steps (for i86 arch):
tar -xvf SUNWonbld.i386.tar.bz2
pfexec pkgadd -d . SUNWonbld
- Now do some changes in your gate_with_my_changes directory and at the end run command from that directory:
That is it! Your webrev is at gate_with_my_changes/webrev.
#### SENDING WEBREV FOR THE REVIEW ####
Now you are ready to publish the webrev. Please note that instead of using anon user you should use your username from OpenSolaris account.
- To publish webrev go to the directory with webrev folder and follow the instructions published at http://cr.opensolaris.org in the Example section. The command should look similar to the (I am using username migi and I want my webrev to be stored under http://cr.opensolaris.org/~migi/8_09_copyright_2813/:
scp -r webrev firstname.lastname@example.org:8_09_copyright_2813
- If I will ever want to delete this webrev I need to execute the following command:
echo "rename 8_09_copyright_2813 .trash/8_09_copyright_2813" | sftp email@example.com
THAT IS IT! As you could see contributing is very easy! Now contributing part (example for Image Packaging System project):
If you are new to this and would like to try, the easiest way is to pick up some of the bugs and try to fix it (At the beginning it can be even bug which changes label or warning message if you are not very good at python)
- List of all unresolved bugs:
Unresolved Image Packaging System bugs.
- Once you will send webrev to the http://cr.opensolaris.org/, please remember to send e-mail about webrev to appropriate mailing list. In this example it would be pkg-discuss.