Indiana IPS and \*Imagine Prototype\*
By migi on Nov 01, 2007
It is a packaging system that allows to pull packages from the network repositories, such as http://pkg.opensolaris.org.
Everything is really promising, but there is lack of the GUI tool for the IPS.
So I have written small prototype called Imagine, which is available for testing. The prototype is working on the fake data, so it's not connected to the IPS at the moment.
I would be really happy if the people from community \*YOU\* will give an input on this prototype, ideas and participate in making decisions, so we can create the GUI for IPS together. The decisions, which are very important, since GUI tool will be one of the tools that everyone will use (including me)!
At the moment this is \*just\* the prototype, so after discussions/decisions the direction of it might change a lot, but this is the starting point.
How to test the prototype ?
- Make sure that you have PyGTK (GTK+ for Python).
- Download imagine.tar.gz file and unpack the tarball.
- Cd to the imagine directory.
- Make sure that pkg_gui.py have permissions to execute.
- Run pkg_gui.py
Why this prototype is written in PyGTK
- The IPS is written in Python, so it was much simpler to write the prototype in this language, even if I already had my beloved JPack written in Java :-)
- The Imagine will call IPS modules directly.
- Look & Feel - it uses native GTK+ widgets.
Here are few screen-shots of the Imagine Prototype (Click on picture to enlarge):