When Ultraman Met Buzz Lightyear
By melinchina on Sep 29, 2007
My kids are filming TV shows almost every weekend lately. The trouble is the shows air on the weekends as well, so we never get to see them. We recorded a couple of shows and were going to show them to the kids on Monday evening.
But they were completely uninterested.
"Can we watch Ultraman instead?" Grant asked.
I said, "Let me get this straight. You would rather watch Ultraman on TV, rather than yourself. On TV."
He said yes. As if that was a no-brainer.
Then I thought about why he loves Ultraman so much. These are certain things you can count on in any Ultraman show:
- Ultraman is always good. He never does anything bad.
- The bad guys are always really bad. They never do anything good.
- The bad guys are easily recognizable.
- Ultraman always defeats the bad guys.
- If Ultraman is ever over-powered by a bad guy, he turns on a lightbulb in his chest and gets renewed power.
Wouldn't it be nice if the world was really that simple?
By the way, in a cross-cultural experiment that you will find only in the Gao household, Grant recently had his Ultraman and Buzz Lightyear action figures fight with each other.
Ultraman lost when his head fell off.