MDM – Superglue for your Applications
By David Butler on May 26, 2011
The other day I was in a fix-it mode around the house. A glass tile had fallen off the pool surface, my granddaughter’s new ceramic cup had a broken handle; the door to our mailbox lost a corner piece; and my son’s eye glasses frame split. In days gone by, repairing these problems needed different products. I just used Superglue for all of them. It reminded me of how our Oracle customers are using Master Data Management to glue their applications together to solve a myriad of problems.
Here are a few examples that came to mind:
- One of our recent customers had a cross-sell/up-sell problem and used Oracle MDM to glue their Sales and Installed Base applications together with their Call Center apps.
- Another customer went much further and used our Customer Hub and Product Hub MDM solutions to transform their CRM processes. For them, every customer touch point involved customer and product data. They used MDM to glue their Marketing, Sales Force Automation, Order Capture, and eCommerce applications together with their Product Lifecycle Management and Supply Chain applications.
- Yet another customer used Oracle MDM to solve a revenue leakage problem with their Order to Cash enterprise business process. They glued Sales, Order Management, and Accounts Receivable applications together.
- Procurement issues are very common. It’s easy to spend too much. One customer glued Procurement applications to Supplier Hub and Product Hub MDM solutions from Oracle to significantly reduce spend by leveraging all supplier knowledge from all divisions.
- Or how about the customers that had hundreds, even thousands of Chart of Accounts. The Oracle-Hyperion Data Relationship Management MDM solution glues them all together and aligns them across the enterprise.
- Then there was the retail bank that had dozens of applications from real estate to demographics around there branch locations. They used Oracle Site Hub along with the Customer Hub to glue these applications together to get a complete handle on locations.
The list goes on, and it really does highlight the Superglue nature of MDM. In the full Oracle Information Architecture, MDM glues all the applications together with the enterprise business processes and all analytical systems such as real time dashboards, enterprise performance management and the data warehouse.If you’re in the Toronto area on June 16th, you might want to drop in on the MDM & Data Governance Summit Canada 2011 at the Fairmont Royal York and listen to Oracle MDM VP, Ford Goodman discuss this very topic.