JRuby Fast Debugger 0.10.1
By Martin Krauskopf on Jun 13, 2008
Friday the 13th, the good time for a new release :), here it is:
- Main feature or benefit is that all the new features of MRI's CLI fast debugger might now be utilized. See CHANGES and Changelog for ruby-debug 0.10.1 release and check Debugging with ruby-debug manual. Rocky Bernstein pushes the CLI interface to be compatible with, or similar to, the one used for gdb. So be sure to check the CHANGES or type 'help' command into debugger console to check the new commands or the ones whose behaviour have changed.
-J-Djruby.reflection=true -J-Djruby.compile.mode=OFFmonster is needed any more. JRuby 1.1.2 (see JIRA 2474 for details) comes with special flag for debugging. Now all is needed is to pass
--debugparameter to JRuby. So to debug your application, you just need to run:
jruby --debug -S rdebug <your-script>
- ruby-debug-base since version 0.10.1 depends on other native gem - linecache. With jruby-debug-base this is not needed since we are workarounding this by dummy linecache fake directly in jruby-debug-base. This means that we are not as clever as C ruby-debug-base - particularly in JRuby debugger you might put breakpoint on lines with no executable code where C implementation would cleverly reject it. In future there will be hopefully decent implementation of linecache. Any volunteer? :)
- we are now passing almost whole, little bit tweaked, test suite of MRI ruby-debug 0.1.10. Few patches were contributed to ruby-debug-base implementation independence (whether it is MRI, JRuby or Rubinius one). Thanks ruby-debug team for the great test suite. This helps stability and compatibility of all implementations.
- following up from the above point several bugs were fixed.
- see ChangeLog for details.
Good to knowSince there were some API changes in JRuby 1.1.2 the jruby-debug-base 0.10.1 release does not work with JRuby 1.1.1 and older, only with JRuby 1.1.2+.
InstallationFor installation see debug-commons website or Using the JRuby Debugger on JRubyWiki.
Enjoy and any feedback is welcomed as always.