Lenovo designs, develops, manufactures and sells personal computers, tablets, smartphones and more, and in 2014 was the world's largest personal computer vendor by unit sales.
Lenovo challenged the Oracle Marketing Cloud team to help them customize their email experience, making it more consistent with subscriber brand interaction.
We developed two triggered email series, activated based on subscriber behavior: a browse campaign and a post-purchase campaign.
- The browse campaign was created with the goal of converting lenovo.com browsers to buyers. The team developed 12 category versions of the email message, sent to subscribers based on which section of the website they had browsed without purchasing.
- The post-purchase email series was created with the intention of offering buyers category-specific support with their recent purchases, as well as ways to remain engaged with the Lenovo brand.
- The Oracle Marketing Cloud Creative Studio team put together a slick, on-brand experience, avoiding the typical pitfall of triggered messaging: overly-modular, automated-looking designs. These messages managed to maintain an appearance consistent with Lenovo’s regular promotional emails, but with the added intelligence of subscriber behavior behind them.
The results are testament to the winning combination of great design and smart marketing automation. Compared with 2014 North American averages:
- Browse achieved double the unique open rate and multiplied the unique clickthrough and responder rates by four times
- Even though driving sales wasn’t the primary goal, the post-purchase series significantly exceeded open, clickthrough and responder averages
Editor's Note: Today's post comes courtesy of Julie Montgomery, the New York Creative Director at Oracle Marketing Cloud. She leads an award-winning creative team that combines big thinking and flawless execution with a passion for digital marketing. Julie’s creative capabilities extend beyond the office—she’s also a gouache painter.