“Do you know where you are? You’re in the jungle, baby!”
The jungle that is, Content Marketing World, this week in Cleveland, OH. Hosted by Content Marketing Institute, the show brought together more than 1,700 attendees from 40+ countries. CMI Founder Joe Pulizzi highlighted advance research findings from the annual CMI/MarketingProfs Content Marketing Budgets Report, which will be released next month.
The most effective tactics cited by survey respondents are:
1. You need customer personas, just like you need buyer personas. Personalization hinges on them! –Ardath Albee, Marketing Interactions
2. Content innovation comes from all around us. Find that thing that inspires you and apply it to your industry. –Ann Handley, MarketingProfs
3. Social is the gasoline that fuels content. –Jay Baer, Youtility
4. Strategically "eavesdropping" or listening, like HiltonSuggests, can help provide utility and value regardless of transactional exchange. –Jay Baer
5. The future of content is visual, real-time, mobile, human and cross-platform. Find out what contributes to a moment of inquiry becoming a lead. –Lee Odden, TopRank Online
6. Behind every successful content marketing program is a home-run piece. –Doug Kessler, Velocity
7. Customers are a wonderful test bed for floating new ideas! Chances are if they get excited; others will, too! –Ardath Albee
8. Leverage research and feast on the content. Slice, dice, tweak, and tweet it. -Todd Wheatland, Kelly Services
9. Keep in mind the ‘5 rings of buyer insight’ (priority initiatives; success factors; perceived barriers; buyer’s journey; decision criteria) – Adele Revella, Buyer Persona Institute
10. "If you don't have the room to fail, you don't have the right to grow." – Jonathan Mildenhall, Coca-Cola
Follow the content discussion on Twitter with the hashtag #CMWorld.
How does your content marketing strategy stack up? Tell us what you do and we can tell you about your marketing style with your very own Interactive Content Grid. You’ll find out your marketing strengths, can download and share your own Grid, and opt in for follow up information via email.
Are you an accelerator master of the funnel? A cultivator who understands that the art of the up-sell begins after purchase? Maybe you’re a rainmaker who has what it takes to make it rain tweets, likes, and pins wherever your brand content shows up, or an elite master of social media and demand gen marketing? You might just be a closer who passes on spamming the web with ineffective content to focus on sealing the deal? Find out and create your own Content Grid now!