RetailEmail.Blogspot monitors the email marketing campaigns of more than 100 of the top online retailers. Here are highlights from our inbox this morning:
1-800-Flowers.com, 5/5 — Thank the troops!
I’m not sure why 1-800-Flowers wants to associate itself with the war in Iraq. I think there’s little to be gained (that people will think they’re patriotic) and lots to be lost (that people will think they are exploiting the troops and/or approve of the war and of President Bush, who has an approval rating of 28% according to the latest Newsweek survey). I hate to say it, but being patriotic isn’t what it used to be. “Support our troops” and being “patriotic” have become code phrases for being pro-Bush and pro-war. My point here is that—whatever your motivations or feelings about the war—your intentions are likely to be misconstrued in the current climate.
I’m also not sure what the troops get out of this program, besides the thanks. Perhaps if they had tied their goal of 1 million thanks to a donation to the VA hospital system, then it would be something folks could get behind and feel absolutely good about. And while tying this initiative to the 4th of July makes sense, connecting it to Mother’s Day is a little jarring.
1-800-Flowers also seem to have a bizarre alt tag on the send to a friend banner at the bottom of the email. It says: “Refer a Friend who is also in the service so they can enjoy the same discount!”
Sharper Image, 5/4 — This Mother's Day, get her a gift as unique as she is.
This is a bit of a different look for Sharper Image, whose email tend to look a lot like their catalogs. There’s too much white space in the design but it’s very direct.
Neiman Marcus, 5/5— Win a $1000 Gift Card: Take our survey to enter!
Neiman Marcus is running a sweepstakes for those who complete a survey about themselves and their habits. All of the questions had radio boxes or a dropdown box with multiple choices available. Here’s what they wanted to know:
1. What is your age?
2. How many hours per week do you spend online in general? Less than 1 hour per week, 1-3 hours per week, 3-7 hours per week, 7-14 hours per week, More than 14 hours per week
3. What are the 5 sites you visit most often over the course of a typical week? Please provide the specific name (such as cnn.com, msn.com, neimanmarcus.com, etc.)
4. How many times per week do you visit the following sites? Style.com, Instyle.com, NeimanMarcus.com, BergdorfGoodman.com, Saks.com, Nordstrom.com, Eluxury.com, Net-a-porter.com, Bloomingdales.com, Shopbop.com
5. In the last 12 months, how much have you spent at the following sites? NeimanMarcus.com, BergdorfGoodman.com, Saks.com, Nordstrom.com, Eluxury.com, Net-a-porter.com, Bloomingdales.com, Shopbop.com
6. If, in the last 3 months, you have returned merchandise you purchased at NeimanMarcus.com, what was the reason? The item did not fit; The item did not look like the image on the site; The item was defective; The item was poorly packaged; Did not return anything; Other
7. Which of the following best describes your employment status? Working full-time (35+ hours per week), Working part-time (less than 35 hours per week), Homemaker, Retired, Student, Not currently working, Other
1-800-Flowers.com, 5/4 — This weekend only--Save up to 50% on gifts for Mom!
1-800-Flowers.com, 5/5 — There's still time to save up to 50% for Mother's Day!
Bloomingdale’s, 5/4 — A Mother's Love Is Magical...
Circuit City, 5/6 — Celebrate Mom and save big at Circuit City
CompUSA, 5/6 — Technology Mom needs. Savings you want.
RitzCamera, 5/6 — Mother's Day Sale and Exclusive Products...
Hallmark, 5/4 — Mother's Day Guide.
Dell, 5/4 — Choose a Dell Notebook or Desktop for Mom for only $599
Brookstone, 5/4 — Treat Mom Right!
Target, 5/6 — Our biggest free shipping event of the season, plus get $5 off your $50 order
Linens ’n Things, 5/4 — Exclusive Savings, Rebates & Bonus Buys + Extra 20% Off
Orvis, 5/4 — Shop cool Orvis gear for warm weather.
Coldwater Creek, 5/5 — Free shipping and new styles for everywhere summer takes you
Bluefly, 5/5 — For the Love of Linen...
REI, 5/5 — REI Anniversary Sale on Now!
Neiman Marcus, 5/4 — DAVID YURMAN gifts + BONUS InCircle points, FREE 2 Day Delivery & Gift Wrap