19 Mobile Marketing Stats That Will Blow Your Mind
* * * UPDATED WITH 2016 STATS * * *
Apigee surveyed smartphone users in Europe and found that "85% admit they would rather give up drinking water than delete all of their apps." Does this surprise you? Water is pretty important to survival.
It is impossible to ignore the rising dependency on mobile as a marketer and consumer. With this rise marketers are facing increasing pressures to evolve at the same speed as mobile marketing.
Here are 19 stats on mobile marketing that will blow your mind:
Mobile Marketing Performance
- 46% of smartphone owners say they couldn’t live without their smartphone. (Pew Research Center) Tweet This Stat
- Mobile advertising spending is estimated to reach about $200 billion by 2019, ten times the spending in 2013. (Source: Moby Affiliates)
- In 2015, mobile influenced retail sales to the tune of over $1 trillion. (Media Post) Tweet This Stat
Delivering Value That’s Personalized and Relevant
- 59% of smartphone users expect companies to make their websites mobile-friendly. (Forrester) Tweet This Stat
- Google says 61% of users are unlikely to return to a mobile site they had trouble accessing and 40% visit a competitor’s site instead. (MicKinsey & Company)
- 57% of users say they won’t recommend a business with a poorly designed mobile site. (CMS) Tweet This Stat
- 86% of shoppers would find it beneficial to receive store offers or coupons on their mobile device while shopping in their favorite stores. (Scan Life)
The Reign of Mobile Marketing Channels
- Mobile now represents almost 2 out of 3 digital media minutes, and mobile apps are approaching 60% of total digital time spent. (comScore)
- Digital media time in the U.S. continues to increase – growing more than 50 percent in the past three years, with nearly 90 percent of that growth directly attributable to the mobile app. (comScore)
- Digital media time spent with mobile is now a whopping 68 percent. The desktop commands just 32 percent of our digital attention. (comScore)
Increase in Purchases from Mobile Devices
- 88% of consumers who search for a type of local business on a mobile device call or go to that business within 24 hours. (Nectafy)
- 42% of researchers use a mobile device during the B2B purchasing process. (think with Google) Tweet This Stat
- Purchase rates on mobile are up 22% in the past two years. (think with Google) Tweet This Stat
- Three out of four respondents in a ScanLife poll said they make a purchase using their mobile device at least once a month. (Scan Life)
- 39% of customers spend more if they receive a personalized mobile coupon. (Koupon) Tweet This Stat
A Mobile-first Mindset
- Average smartphone conversion rates are up 64% compared to the average desktop conversion rates. (CMS Report) Tweet This Stat
- Overall, digital media time spent with mobile is now a whopping 68 percent. The desktop commands just 32 percent of our digital attention. (comScore)
- Smartphone apps are now 50% of all U.S. digital media time spent. (comScore)
- More than nine in ten mobile coupon users will redeem a coupon or code via their mobile device for online or offline shopping in 2017. (eMarketer)
These statistics reinforce the importance of meeting customer expectations for mobile marketing, now more than ever. We are faced with the pressure to create optimal customer experiences and the increasing demand of cross-channel marketing.
What works for marketers now will not work in 2018. Start planning now so that your company will keep up with the evolution of mobile marketing. Download the CMO's Guide to Mobile Marketing today!