Wednesday Jan 27, 2010
Saturday Jan 16, 2010
By marina on Jan 16, 2010
Thursday Oct 09, 2008
By marina on Oct 09, 2008
While I'm evangelizing Sun's technology and our Sun Startup Essential program across the Bay Area communities, there is often a question on "Why as a developer or a technology startup I should pick Sun". So, put aside all the great offers from the SSE program like free technical assistance, VC connect, and discounted infrastrucutre, here are a few reasons to consider:
- Every startup's ultimate goal is to grow and sustain the volume. Sun has a proven record of enabling companies to scale. With applications like BumperSticker, which is deployed on Sun Joyent Accelerator and scales up to 1 bln page hits a month, we're helping startups to grow and scale at their pace.
Sun's technology stack includes a couple key components like MySQL and OpenSolaris that are essential to the business:
- MySQL is a de factor database in the Web 2.0 space. Sun allows you to leverage our in house expertise to architect your back end solution with reliability, fail over, and other critical systemic qualities in mind. Today nearly every startup has a question on how to effectively deploy and optimize MySQL, the best company to answer those questions is Sun.
- Why deploy on Sun? OpenSolaris offers unique value add characteristics such as
-- DTrace (dynamic tracing) that allows startups monitor their applications run time and determine the bottleneck to prevent the application performance issues, also with DTrace companies can optimize the application. This is a unique feature of OpenSolaris.
-- ZFS is a file system that can store large volume of data. With growing number of the social media applications, it's important to pick the right file system that enables to store large files, and ZFS provides you exactly that.
-- Containers. Out of the box, zero cost, negligible overhead virtualizaiton that comes with OpenSolaris allows companies to deploy their application in a more effective way. Whether companies utilize Containers for Dev/QA/Staging environment or if they utilizing servers with Containers for Web/App/DB tiers, Containers provide a key value add to the businesses that deploy applications on a dedicated set of servers.
And of course you can learn more about the program by visiting Sun Startup Essentials. We've just launched an infrastructure clearance program that you may take advantage of.
Marina Fisher is a member of Oracle ISV Engineering team, posting blogs around industries, technologies, and applications she is working with.
- Discovering Solaris FC lib in OpsCenter
- Subclipse Network connection closed unexpectedly
- NetBeans, Subversion, and remote ssh server
- Web 2.0 Fundamentals
- Peer Financing for Developers
- Technology Evolution
- The Hacker Fair
- On Leadership
- Clean energy opportunity and 800,000 new jobs
- OOW and Social Networking