Installing TWiki on Sun Java System Web Server
By manish on Aug 19, 2005
I recently helped a customer migrate their TWiki setup. They were using TWiki on Apache Web Server and wanted to migrate to TWiki on Sun Java System Web Server running on Solaris 9.
The migration went through fine without any major hicups. Since the TWiki documentation does not discuss TWiki installation on Sun Java System Web Server, I thought of sharing the high level steps based on my experience.
- Install Revision Control System(RCS 5.7) from http://sunfreeware.com/ on Solaris 9
- Install GNU diff utilities(diffutils-2.8.1) from http://sunfreeware.com/ on Solaris 9
( The above two packages are needed for TWiki software to run)
- Ensure that you have Perl version 5.005_03 or higher(Solaris 9 by default ships with perl and it can be used by TWiki)
- Download Twiki Software(TWiki20040902.tar.gz - production release of 02 Sep 2004)
- Install Sun Java System Web Server 6.1sp4 on the Solaris 9 machine
- Install Twiki software by untarring it to doc_root of Web Server instance
- Enable CGI on the web server instance to be used for Twiki
- Configure the Twiki CFG files(setlib.cfg and TWiki.cfg) as per TWiki Docs
- Create a link to “sendmail” binary(using "ln") as "sendmail" on Solaris by default resides in /usr/lib directory
- Fix ownership/permissions issues of the Twiki install(if needed) to be same as the user id chosen during web server install.
- Edit the TWikiPreferences topic as discussed in TWiki Configuration docs.
- Enable htaccess on the instance (recommended but not mandatory)
- Test Twiki install using the "testenv" script provided by TWiki and fix the warnings if you see any.
That's it! Go to http://host.domainame/twiki/bin/view and start TWiki-ing away!