Tuesday Oct 14, 2008

Lighttpd on CMT running Web 2.0 workloads

Earlier in the year I spent many a night burning candles at both ends testing with a Web 2.0 workload on a Lighttpd/PHP/Memcached/MySQL stack. The results have been made into a Sun Blueprint entitled An Open Source Web Solution - Lighttpd Web Server and Chip Multithreading Technology The bottom line is that we were able to get 416 ops/sec with 2250 users before we ran out of network bandwidth. That was with a 5 second cycle time between operations, so 450 ops/sec would have been the best we could theoretically get. This was all done on a Sun SPARC Enterprise T5120 running with 8 cores (64 threads) at 1.2GHz. In reflection I wish I'd spent more time on Memcached and MySQL analysis, but we wasted a lot of cycles trying to team a couple of network cards using a switch that was not up to the job and we just ran out of time.

The keys to all of the testing were the Faban test harness which not only ran all of the tests for us but collected and presented most of the data used in the Blueprint Document, and the Web 2.0 kit which is now in incubation on Apache.org as Project Olio (http://incubator.apache.org/projects/olio.html)

About

Bloggity, blog

Search

Archives
« April 2014
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
    
       
Today