Siebel 22.214.171.124 Benchmark on SPARC T5
By Giri Mandalika-Oracle on Apr 12, 2013
Hardly six months after announcing Siebel 126.96.36.199 benchmark results on Oracle SPARC T4 servers, we have a brand new set of Siebel 188.8.131.52 benchmark results on Oracle SPARC T5 servers. There are no updates to the Siebel benchmark kit in the last couple years - so, we continued to use the Siebel 184.108.40.206 benchmark workload to measure the performance of Siebel Financial Services Call Center and Order Management business transactions on the recently announced SPARC T5 servers.
The latest Siebel 220.127.116.11 benchmark was executed on a mix of SPARC T5-2, SPARC T4-2 and SPARC T4-1 servers. The benchmark test simulated the actions of a large corporation with 40,000 concurrent active users. To date, this is the highest user count we achieved in a Siebel benchmark.
User Load Breakdown & Achieved Throughput
|Siebel Application Module||%Total Load||#Users||Business Trx per Hour|
|Financial Services Call Center||70||28,000||273,786|
Average Transaction Response Times for both Financial Services Call Center and Order Management transactions were under one second.
Software & Hardware Specification
|Test Component||Software||Version||Server Model||Server Qty||Per Server Specification||OS|
|Chips||Cores||vCPUs||CPU Speed||CPU Type||Memory|
|Application Server||Siebel||18.104.22.168||SPARC T5-2||2||2||32||256||3.6 GHz||SPARC-T5||512 GB||Solaris 10 1/13 (S10U11)|
|Database Server||Oracle 11g R2||22.214.171.124||SPARC T4-2||1||2||16||128||2.85 GHz||SPARC-T4||256 GB||Solaris 10 8/11 (S10U10)|
|Web Server||iPlanet Web Server||7.0.9 (7 U9)||SPARC T4-1||1||1||8||64||2.85 GHz||SPARC-T4||128 GB||Solaris 10 8/11 (S10U10)|
|Load Generator||Oracle Application Test Suite||9.21.0043||SunFire X4200||1||2||4||4||2.6 GHz||AMD Opteron 285 SE||16 GB||Windows 2003 R2 SP2|
|Load Drivers (Agents)||Oracle Application Test Suite||9.21.0043||SunFire X4170||8||2||12||12||2.93 GHz||Intel Xeon X5670||48 GB||Windows 2003 R2 SP2|
- Siebel Gateway Server was configured to run on one of the application server nodes
- Four Siebel application servers were configured in the Siebel Enterprise to handle 40,000 concurrent users
- - Each SPARC T5-2 was configured to run two Siebel application server instances
- - Each of the Siebel application server instances on SPARC T5-2 servers were separated using Solaris virtualization technology, Zones
- - 40,000 concurrent user sessions were load balanced across all four Siebel application server instances
- Siebel database was hosted on a Sun Storage F5100 Flash Array consisting 80 x 24 GB flash modules (FMODs)
- - Siebel 126.96.36.199 benchmark workload is not I/O intensive and does not require flash storage for better I/O performance
- Fourteen iPlanet Web Server virtual servers were configured with Siebel Web Server Extension (SWSE) plug-in to handle 40,000 concurrent user load
- - All fourteen iPlanet Web Server instances forwarded HTTP requests from Siebel clients to all four Siebel application server instances in a round robin fashion
- Oracle Application Test Suite (OATS) was stable and held up amazingly well over the entire duration of the test run.
- - The test ran for more than five hours including a three hour ramp up state
- - While we are at it, do not forget to check the Oracle Application Testing Suite (OATS): Few Tips & Tricks page
- The benchmark test results were validated and thoroughly audited by the Siebel benchmark and PSR teams
- - Nothing new here. All Sun published Siebel benchmarks including the SPARC T4 one were properly audited before releasing those to the outside world
|Gateway/Application Server||20,000||67.03||205.54 GB|
|Application Server||20,000||66.09||206.24 GB|
|Database Server||40,000||33.43||108.72 GB|
|Web Server||40,000||29.48||14.03 GB|
Finally, how does this benchmark stack up against other published benchmarks? Short answer is "very well". Head over to the Oracle Siebel Benchmark White Papers webpage to do the comparison yourself.
[Credit to our hard working colleagues in SAE, Siebel PSR, benchmark and Oracle Platform Integration (OPI) teams. Special thanks to Sumti Jairath and Venkat Krishnaswamy for the last minute fire drill]
Copy of this blog post is also available at:
Siebel 188.8.131.52 Benchmark on SPARC T5