Siebel 18.104.22.168 Benchmark on SPARC T4
By Giri Mandalika-Oracle on Jan 30, 2013
Siebel is a multi-threaded native application that performs well on Oracle's T-series SPARC hardware. We have several versions of Siebel benchmarks published on previous generation T-series servers ranging from Sun Fire T2000 to Oracle SPARC T3-4. So, it is natural to see that tradition extended to the current genration SPARC T4 as well.
29,000 user Siebel 22.214.171.124 benchmark on a mix of SPARC T4-1 and T4-2 servers was announced during the Oracle OpenWorld 2012 event. In this benchmark, Siebel application server instances ran on three SPARC T4-2/Solaris 10 8/11 systems where as the Oracle database server 11gR2 was configured on a single SPARC T4-1/Solaris 11 11/11 system. Several iPlanet web server 7 U9 instances with the Siebel Web Plug-in (SWE) installed ran on one SPARC T4-1/Solaris 10 8/11 system. Siebel database was hosted on a single Sun Storage F5100 flash array consisting 80 flash modules (FMODs) each with capacity 24 GB.
Siebel Call Center and Order Management System are the modules that were tested in the benchmark. The benchmark workload had 70% of virtual users running Siebel Call Center transactions and the remaining 30% vusers running Siebel Order Management System transactions. This benchmark on T4 exhibited sub-second response times on average for both Siebel Call Center and Order Management System modules.
Load balancing at various layers including web and test client systems ensured near uniform load across all web and application server instances. All three Siebel application server systems consumed ~78% CPU on average. The database and web server systems consumed ~53% and ~18% CPU respectively.
All these details are supposed to be available in a standard Oracle|Siebel benchmark template - but for some reason, I couldn't find it on Oracle's Siebel Benchmark White Papers web page yet. Meanwhile check out the following PR that was posted on oracle.com on 09/28/2012.
Looks like the large number of vusers (29,000 to be precise) sets this benchmark apart from the other benchmarks published with the same Siebel 126.96.36.199 benchmark workload.
[Credit to our colleagues in Siebel PSR, benchmark, SAE and ISVe teams]