JOpenSpace - weekend not only about Java[.cz]
By lukas on Aug 05, 2008
There were 23 people from different companies from Czech Republic - from Znojmo to Ceske Budejovice. The gathering had very friendly informal spirit. The knowledge sharing and the value of the informations that I learned was definitely better than at any other conference that I have attended. Thanks for the organizing it goes to Srakyi. As he explained in the starting session they were inspired by JavaPosse Roundups. Therefore they prepared something similar for Czech Java community. This time it was closed session therefore you could get in on invitation only. It may change for next years but the number of attendees will be limited anyway to keep the "nice familiar atmosphere".
I won't write about the talks in details. The list will be published at http://jopenspace.cz. Hopefully they will publish some records from the talks as well. They will be in Czech language( another reason to learn it ).
I really regret that I haven't been at any CZ JUG session yet. The people around it are very nice. They didn't punished me when I told them that I haven't attended any JUG session yet. And I'll fix it soon. I didn't prepared any lightning talk because we were busy with the NB 6.5 Beta testing however it seems that nobody would be interested in the Mobility Pack. Most of the people were oriented to the web technologies. Maybe they would like the wizards for creating mobile clients to server side? Who knows. Anyway we were not able to finish all the topics that were on the list. And I participated in some of the open space talks where anybody can say something to the topic. Some of the topic were exactly what I would come up if somebody else wouldn't put it on the list earlier.
The session that I liked the most were not connected to the programming or java at all - "Injuries caused by mouse and keyboard" and "Testing of wine from Moravia". They were very successful and everybody participated in.
I'd like to mention some other topics and technologies that we touched or talked about - documentation, Selenium IDE, Spring, Terracotta, AndroMDA, Groovy, JavaFX Mobile, Android, FindBugs+PathFinder, SCRUM, etc.
- http://jopenspace.cz -in Czech
- Srakyi's blog about JOS 2008
- Nice and descriptive blog from "otec Fura" - in Czech
- CZ podcast volume #25 - jOpenSpace 2008 speciál
My tips for next years or open space conferences in general:
- Keep the time for Lightning talks. They must be lightning otherwise it is just a presentation
- There should be more "sessions" at the same time. It will allow the people to change "session" when they don't like it.
- There should be more space for relax. The sessions were very interesting however a little bit of sport activities would reset the minds and enable us concentrate more again. We had to make a individual break for a "nohejball" match with Dagi, Filemon, Karol, Honza and Pavol. Guess who won