By lukas on Mar 28, 2006
What you have to download
You have to download a few installers for the CDC platform.
- UIQ 3 SDK. Beta 3 is the latest available today. You will have to register to be able to download it. The file has 210MB.
The UIQ is Symbian based platform for mobile devices.
- You will need also Sony Ericsson CDC Platform 1 Extension Package for the UIQ 3 SDK Beta 3. The file has 7.8MB.
- The last piece in this lego is Extension Package. M600 Extension Package for the UIQ 3 SDK Beta 3 and P990 Extension Package for the UIQ 3 SDK Beta 3. The files have 1.5MB and 2.5MB
- You will need NetBeans 5.0, of course.
- And finally the NetBeans Mobility Pack 5.0 for CDC
Install the UIQ
The first question dialog that you'll see when you start the UIQ3SDK.exe installer is a little bit strange. Aren't we installing UIQ SDK?
Click Yes, of course. The UIQ SDK needs a Perl. You have to install it. When the Perl is installed you have to run the UIQ3SDK.exe installer again. Finally, the UIQ SDK installation starts. The installation needs almost 700MB on your hard disk. There are only UIQ Pen Style and UIQ Softkey styles of emulators available when the installation finishes.
We have to add a support for CDC to the UIQ SDK now.
Install Sony Ericsson CDC Platform 1 Extension Package
Run the installer (semc_cdc_platform_1_beta_0_4.exe). Choose the location of the UIQ SDK. It's necessary to select the directory one level up epoc32 directory. The installation requires about 27MB on the disk.
Install the extensions
Then you'll have to install M600 Extension Package (semc_m600_sdk_extension_beta_0_2.exe) and P990 Extension Package (semc_p990_sdk_extension_beta_0_2.exe.
This provides P990 and M600 support including Sony Ericsson APIs and other attributes. We can now use the M600 and P990 emulators.
Install NetBeans Mobility Pack 5.0 for CDC
First install NetBeans 5.0. If you already have NB 5.0 installed you can install Mobility Pack 5.0 for CDC to the installed NetBeans 5.0. The installer should suggest the right directory of the existing NB 5.0.
Select a style
This step is necessary before you can use the SE UIQ CDC platform in IDE. You have to run SDKConfig.exe and set the style (emulator) that you want to use. You can change this setting from the IDE later.
Follow the post installation steps from NetBeans Mobility Pack 5.0 for CDC Quick Start Guide. I'll copy the steps here: Let's assume, your installation is located in folder F:\\Symbian\\UIQ3SDK_BETA3\\
- Open command line window
- Issue set EPOCROOT=\\Symbian\\UIQ3SDK_BETA3\\ Note the opening and closing backslash characters
- Issue set SDKDRIVE=f Note the : is not there
- Invoke F:\\Symbian\\UIQ3SDK_BETA3\\epoc32\\tools\\distrib\\SDKConfig.exe go to Styles tab, select M600 CDC or P990 CDC skin and press Apply Style button. It takes several seconds to install all necessary file to correct location
- You can verify installation by looking into folder F:\\Symbian\\UIQ3SDK_BETA3\\epoc32\\tools\\ppro-custom-launcher\\ where you can see following files: compile-rss.bat, custom-app.bat, LauncherUtils.exe
Add CDC platform to IDE
Run NetBeans IDE. You can add the CDC platform either when creating first CDC project
or from main menu Tools | Java Platform Manager | Add.... Select the option Java Micro Edition CDC Platform Emulator.
Select the UIQ SDK installation directory and IDE should recognize the platform. If there is message "Platform is not correctly set up. Use SDK Configuration Tool to set up correct emulator style." then exit the dialog. Try again the Select a style step and then you should be able to add the CDC platform to the IDE.
You should be able to install the Sony Ericsson CDC platform following the previous step. You should be able to add the platform into the IDE and create new project.
There can be problems with adding the CDC platform to the NB first time. The problems can be usually solved when switching the styles in SDK Configurator run from command line.
The first start of CDC emulator takes usually looooong time. Be patient.