Sun Grid Engine 6.2 Update 2 Beta Program Started
By Lubomir Petrik on Dec 19, 2008
The SGE 6.2u2 beta program just started and will last until lasts until Monday, February 2, 2009.
The beta program is intended for users who already have experience with the Sun Grid Engine software or DRM (Distributed Resource Management) systems of other vendors. This beta adds new features to the SGE 6.2 software.
Sun Grid Engine 6.2 Update 2 (SGE 6.2u2) is a feature update release for SGE 6.2 which adds the following new functionality to the product:
- a GUI based installer helping new users to more easily install the software. It complements the existing CLI based installation routine
- new support for 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Microsoft Windows Vista (Enterprise and Ultimate Edition), Windows Server 2003R2 and Windows Server 2008.
- a client and server side Job Submission Verifier (JSV) allows an administrator to control, enforce and adjust jobs requests, including job rejection. JSV scripts can be written in any scripting language, e.g. Unix shells, Perl or TCL.
- consumable resource attributes can now be requested per job. This makes resource requests for parallel jobs much easier to define, especially when using slot ranges.
- on Linux, the use of the 'jemalloc' malloc library improves performance and reduces memory requirements
- the use of the poll(2) system call instead of select(2) on Linux systems improves scalability of qmaster in extremely huge clusters
The SGE 6.2u2 Beta can be downloaded from http://www.sun.com/software/gridware/get_it.jsp.
Like with every SGE release it is safe to install multiple Grid Engine clusters running multiple versions in parallel if all of the the following settings are different:
- <sge_root> directory
- ports (environment variables) for qmaster and execution daemons
- unique "cluster name" - from SGE 6.2 the cluster name is appended to the name of the system wide startup scripts
- group id range ("gid_range")
Optionally you may use the upgrade procedure (clone configuration method) to install SGE 6.2u2 with the different settings mentioned above, while keeping all your other cluster configuration settings. See the upgrade video. While the video shows an upgrade from 6.1 to 6.2, it will work the same way for cloning 6.2(u1) to 6.2u2 beta.
We welcome your feedback and questions on this Beta. We are asking you to restrict your questions specific to this Beta release. In case you are seeking for general evaluation support for the Sun Grid Engine software please subscribe to the free evaluation support by downloading and using the shipping version of SGE 6.2 Update 1.
There are the following email aliases available:
Technical support alias:
Feedback on documentation: